Heywood's Chapel Nothowram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heywood's Chapel Nothowram

I am researching a branch of the Ambler Family and have been reading the book "The Ambler Family" available for searching in the ancestry card catalogue.

In the early decades of the 18th century a number of Amblers were baptized at the Nonconformist Heywoods Chapel in Northowram, Yorkshire, England and in the book the phrase "baptized by Oliver Heywood" is used several times after the death of Oliver Heywood (at least the only one I can find died in 1702).

Does anybody know if this was a common phrase used because the Meeting House was named after Oliver Heywood, Heywoods Chapel, or was there another Oliver Heywood in Northowram at the time?
    Last edited by DavidNewton; 18-09-13, 18:29.

It appears to be pretty conclusive that there was someone called Oliver Heywood conducting ceremonies at least until the 1730s, so cannot be the same man who you believe died in 1702. Maybe he was the son of your Oliver, or maybe your dates are wrong, but you would have to research the history of the chapel further to be sure.

The book appears to be well researched and comprehensive, so may well be correct but as with all these family histories published many years ago, you have to corroborate the contents from the primary sources before accepting it as completely reliable (much the same as many Ancestry trees these days).
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Oliver Heywood did indeed die in 1702, he was minister at Coley Chapel and left famous registers and diaries. This is his Wikipedia entry, where you will find links to his various writings:

Well worth looking at if you have relatives from the area.

His successor, Thomas Dickenson, continued the informal registers in the same way. I think the author of the book you refer to (thanks for that) must have been a bit confused. You can read the registers for yourself here:

Comment

I have tried to find out if Oliver Heywood had a son Oliver but to no avail as yet. You are right about the Ambler Family book, there is clear indication that the author had read the original registers which is why I became confused when he appeared to have baptisms conducted by a deceased minister. There is quite a lot of info, including significant extracts from Heywood's diaries on this website http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/wtw/index.html

Comment

Looking at the archive link you posted, I would tend towards the suggestion that the author of the Ambler book may have been mistaken - a good example of why some of these old pedigree documents have to approached with caution.

As always - further research needed to be sure.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 18-09-13, 18:17.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you Marmaduke for the reference. I found the baptisms I was looking at in Dickenson's Register. I have a feeling that this book is going to throw up a few more gems.

Comment

Thanks to you for the Ambler book. I have a Ruth Ambler of Northowram married at Halifax to Daniel Tempest of Shelf in 1687, but I have no baptism for her and she is not mentioned in the Ambler book. I suspect she is my direct ancestor, but I have no baptisms for any children.

Comment

I make regular checks on FamilySearch as they are regularly updating. A Search for Ruth Ambler born in the 1600's reveals the following possibility:
                • father:Petter Aumbler

• NameRuth Aumbler
                • GenderFemale
                • Christening Date Oct 1646
                • Christening PlaceNORTHOWRAM AND COLEY-NC,NORTHOWRAM,YORK,ENGLAND
                • Birth Date
                • Birthplace
                • Death Date
                • Name Note
                • Race
                • Father's NamePetter Aumbler
                • Father's Birthplace
                • Father's Age
                • Mother's Name
                • Mother's Birthplace
                • Mother's Age
                • Indexing Project (Batch) NumberP00723-1
                • System OriginEngland-ODM
                • GS Film number0496916 IT 2
                • Reference ID

This is just a cut'n'paste of the summary. The date and place fit fairly well.

Comment

Just a quick update: this entry and with the same details is in the Northowram Register book under the name Aumbler in Heywood's Register p20. [Edit] The date does not fit well with a 1687 marriage - probably too old.
                  Last edited by DavidNewton; 18-09-13, 20:00.

Comment

Thanks David. Yes, I think this one is probably a generation out.

Comment

Working...
                    X