Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you access parish registers without paying for a professional data base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you access parish registers without paying for a professional data base?

I am trying to find birth or baptism record for William Halden, who is a distant relative of my mother ( who is actually 102 herself!) I googled parish registers for the parish ( Wark) and the county ( Hertfordshire) and found a county page for Hertfordshire but kept on running up against prompts which wanted my to join geneology.com or some such data base.

My understanding was that for these details they could be accessed through the parish register without payment to a commercial data base.

Can you help please?:o

Not all parish registers are online and if they are they are not always free.

There are various free sites you could try to see if they cover the area you are interested in, for example: Family Search, FreeReg, Online Parish Clerks

Google is often your friend - I see in this instance you have already tried it!

Take a look in our reference library - accessed via the tab on the navigation bar at the top of the screen - then select British Isles Index, and choose your country/county of interest.

Order films/microfiche via your local Family History Library - details found in the FTF guide on the following link - http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...tory-Libraries

Check the local Family History Society - have they produced any publications or CDs which may be of use.

Do you live local to the area you are researching - if so visit the local Archives/Record Office.

Check your local library - some offer free access to subscriptions sites such as Ancestry & Findmypast

I am sure other members will have other suggestions for you! Unfortunately sometimes there is no option but to pay, but make sure the area you are researching and what you are looking for is covered before parting with your money!
    Elaine

Comment

... and sorry, I should have said "welcome to Family Tree Forum"
      Elaine

Comment

Cecily, I can see a place called Wark in Northumberland but not one in Hertfordshire.
        Did you mean Ware, Hertfordshire?
        Elaine

Comment

Could 'Wark' be an abbreviation Warwickshire?

Comment

Many thanks Elaine, I live in Nowra, NSW Australia and now am researching in England....back to 1780 or so...I have done some of your suggestions, thanks and found people very helpful, especially the local historical society...I just can't locate this William Halden's birth details I found his death certificate in 1847 and his will but he was not born in the county where the 1841 census details were taken. I was told to try the district where I thought he was born which is Ware parish and Hertfordshire county. NOt living in England makes is very difficult for me. I haven't joined Ancestory etc as it is quite expensive and I have been able to access it and find my past through the local historical society. I will try the free search you mentioned as I am always googling for free data bases. Many thanks for your suggestions, Cecily

Comment

Ok I didn't know about that...is Warwickshire the parish or the county please???

Comment

Ok thanks, Elaine, the details on mundia.com where I found his name and the 'wark, Hertfordshire' details, might not have been correct....I will try that...this is all so helpful, thanks, Cecily

Comment

Sorry Elaine, I just checked and it is Ware....thanks, I have gone off on a typo there....and thanks for your welcome, Cecily

Comment

Parish registers for Ware in Hertfordshire are available online through Findmypast (recently added). If you can access Findmypast through your local History Society then this might be the best place to start.

Warwickshire is a different county.
                    Elaine

Comment

Ok thanks I can do this in a couple of days..on a wed I can access the info via the historical society. I just tried the county site via your resource button as you suggested. but yes I had been there before and had to use that data base so I stopped there..
                      THis is such a great forum....I am so glad I found you. Must get some zzzzzz, thanks, Cecily

Comment

the local library should have ancestry, you could contact some tree owners via them i guess to ask why they think he was born in ware, herts. alternatively, i think in order to see results on mundia, you have to register which is free, and you can contact tree owners from there i believe.

Comment

There are plenty 4 William HALDENS's in the baptism register at Ware (according to FMP) - between 1766 and 1812.

Looks like they are also on FamilySearch.org (free), but without the images of the actual register that FMP has.
                          Last edited by AntonyM; 15-09-13, 14:23.
                          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

You can request FamilySearch to copy and send you the images that they don't keep online - it's a free service, just takes a bit of time.

Hertfordshire also has a free index, with online ordering (I think - never used the pay part of it!)
                            Welcome to Hertfordshire County Council. Find out more about the council and the services we provide.

Comment

I have looked up FindMyPast, there are 4 William (Wm) Haldens baptized in Ware: years 1766, 1773, 1780 and 1812 and images of the original registers are available. If you do not have a FindMyPast subscription (fairly likely given your location) you can purchase Pay as you go credits which would enable you to download the images.

Sorry I missed the earlier post by AnthonyM so am just repeating what he said.
                              Last edited by DavidNewton; 19-09-13, 09:35.

Comment

Many thanks David. I actually got to check out FMP and the 1780 chap looks good. I am just trying to verify this particular person by contacting the owner of the tree but not had any reply yet. I couldn't print last week at the Latter Day Saints centre and then I have been hooked on finding a missing relative who has not been in contact with the family for over 40 years but still seems to be alive. ( my Mother's half brother). Thanks for your suggestions and also to Anthony. Cecily

Comment

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my post....I am trying to verify the person who seems to be the one...as I explained in my reply to Anthony I have been sidetracked at the moment! Cheers, C

Comment

Working...
                                  X