name of a matheson genealogy book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• name of a matheson genealogy book

i don't expect anyone to be able to help with this, but i'm putting it out there in case someone has this book and can tell me it's name.

in 1888, 'history of the mathesons' by mckenzie was published, asserting all mathesons ancestries 'converged in murdoch buidhe matheson, 10 generations from the present day'. it was a genealogy of the clan, which was updated in 1900 by mcbain. i have this book, and it is not the one i am looking for.

in the last 10 years, i acquired a book from the clan matheson society in australia. (i've contacted them, and they can't recall it either, just it was a limited run) it was published within the last decade, and was a revision of the descendants of murdoch buidhe matheson who was alive in the late 16th century. it had a photo of the applecross mountains and the sea or loch on the cover with a cloudy sky. i know the cover well as i drew it for a school project. i just can't remember the name of the book. or the author. i just know he drew up a revision of the generations after murdoch, which did not tally with the history of the mathesons, and i was unimpressed with it. i loaned it to my grandmother who died last year and no one has seen the book.

if anyone recognises the actual book from my shoddy memory, i would be very pleased to know the title, and see if i can get a copy. thank you.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 13-09-13, 09:15.

is this the book Kyle?

I was just having a google and came across it.

lots here:

The Scottish Tartans: With Historical Sketches of the Clans and Families of Scotland by INNES OF LEARNEY, Thomas and a great selection of related books, art and collectibles available now at AbeBooks.co.uk.

might be worthwhile contacting some of the societies/clans to see if they know of the book?

I don't suppose you still have the drawing of it you did? maybe you can find the same image in Google images?
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-09-13, 12:45.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      in 1888, 'history of the mathesons' by mckenzie was published, asserting all mathesons ancestries 'converged in murdoch buidhe matheson, 10 generations from the present day'. it was a genealogy of the clan, which was updated in 1900 by mcbain. i have this book, and it is not the one i am looking for.
      Is this it, online?

Is this the same book?
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Lots of Matheson related books
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 13-09-13, 18:40.

Comment

thank you both. no it's not among those results. i had a bright idea to email the clan genealogist in the UK, he sent me an email back......knew it exactly!

it's by dr iain matheson, called 'a short history of the matheson and of lochalsh also of kintail and the macraes'

i've been able to find a copy for 12 pounds, so am so pleased. even has the same image! thank you both so much for the help. julie, i had thought i wrote down where the image i drew came from. i pulled it out and turned it over.....nothing haha. just the obligatory why i did it and how it turned out speech schools make you do for the theory side of art.

Comment

:smilee:
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
          X