Witness name translation please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witness name translation please.

In 1862, Liverpool marriage record. Can't begin to guess what the first name is. The surname is Abrahams.
    Can anyone help please?

John Abrahams wife maybe.jpg
    Last edited by AlanC; 10-09-13, 17:13.

Gosh Alan that's a tricky one. Think it begins with H buts that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

Comment

can you give a link on ancestry and i will see if i can guess it?
      at the moment I think its Hed...ff/ss
      but maybe this person is a 'professional' witness ie not family connected so had look on 1861 census for liverpool but nothing springs out. does the name appear on any other marriages for those pages?
      Last edited by angelina; 10-09-13, 18:17. Reason: thought of something else
      Angelina

Comment

Cant give you a link Angelina, I'm transcribing a Parish Register and this is stopping progress. I looked at '61 Census L'pool in hope I might find a John Abrahams living with a wife..............a shot in the dark that didn't work out.

Comment

Could the name be Headly or Headley Abrahams?
          Vonny.

Comment

It can't be the same person, but a look on freebmd shows the name Hadassa or Hodassa Abrahams marrying a few years before this. Just wondered if it was a name used within the family?
            Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 10-09-13, 20:55. Reason: spelling

Comment

Have a look on this website to the meaning of the name Hadassa:

Vonny.

Comment

Since the surname doesn't look anything like Abrahams I can't even be sure the first name starts with an H!

Two of mt gg aunts were named Hadassah. Sadly both died as infants.

Anne

Comment

I thought the surname looked like Addams
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll transcribe with an 'H' and '?'.....perhaps the descendants will know when they read it on line.

Comment

not 'mary' is it?

Comment

............don't know Kyle, can we agree it ends in a 'Y' ?

Comment

looks like an 'h' at first glance, but could be 'ma' ending in 'y'.

Comment

Isn't it strange how we perceive handwriting. We've seen good examples in this post all very plausible but I've no idea which, if any, is correct.

I've moved on now to other Register entries so thanks once again for your help.
                            Last edited by AlanC; 11-09-13, 16:34.

Comment

Working...
                            X