What's her name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's her name?

Trying to read the first name of this witness......any suggestions please.

Miss Barrow (3) - Copy.jpg

Looks like SYANCE but that is an odd name. I can't see anyone on ancestry with that first name. Does the first letter look like any other on the record?

Margaret

Comment

i would agree, 'syance'. could it be a mishearing of a name maybe? i note it's by 'her mark'.

Comment

Morning Margaret,
        Looking at other entries on these two pages I'd say the first letter was an 'S' but it does make for an unusual name.

Comment

Hi Kyle,
          I can only transcribe what I see............or think I see:(................which is why transcribers take some stick.

Comment

Well done Felix, thank you.

Comment

hi alan, i wasn't suggesting writing anything else down, just i wonder if the priest wrote down a surname for a given name he was unfamiliar with.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                Morning Margaret,
                Looking at other entries on these two pages I'd say the first letter was an 'S' but it does make for an unusual name.
                It might be worth seeing if you can find anything similar on the BMD index or census for the time and place you have the marriage.

If you are transcribing then all you can do it put what is written.

Margaret

Comment

Just transcribing Margaret and wanted help with the Christian name.............thanks to you and Kyle for your input.

Comment

Working...
                  X