Does anybody know the East End ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know the East End ?

I've got someone on the 1861 census living on Gower Walk near Leman Street. I've read that some buildings from the period on that street have been restored. ....is there any way of finding out in how far the house numbers of 1861 correspond to those of today, please ? I assume this is near enough to the Tower to be reasonably safe in daylight. (no insults meant to anyone)

Thanks
    Last edited by greyingrey; 06-09-13, 15:54.

Go to

Enter Gower's walk, London
    Then drag the little yellow man onto the street to get a Googlmap walkthrough
    As you move along, it gives you an approximate street number

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks, Trevor.....have the street numbers changed ? (I suppose so)

It should be safe around there..-...I've googled & there's a one bedroom flat for sale for 750,000 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
        I've read that some buildings from the period on that street have been restored. ....is there any way of finding out in how far the house numbers of 1861 correspond to those of today, please ?
        The restored buildings look to be at the southern end of the street and were originally warehouses. They've retained the brackets for the hoists which were on the 3/4th floor. These would have unlikely to have been residential. Have a look at the commercial and trade directories of the time. Sometimes when the street and occupants are listed there is a note of the various road junctions. That may help you work out where the street number lay.

Edit for additional info. Booth's Map from 1889 shows residential property on the east side of street, while on the west is a railway goods yard. But of course the area could have changed radically from 1861 to 1889.
        Last edited by keldon; 06-09-13, 17:39.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks very much, Phil.....I thought it would have been warehouses rather than residential properties that had survived, but it would still be interesting if I could find out whereabouts the building he'd lived in had been

Comment

Working...
          X