Anyone up for a brickwall challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a brickwall challenge?

I have been looking for a marriage of these two people Ellen ( Nellie) Clements and John Paterson if they married and who John Paterson was, where he came from.
    Found a couple of likelys they turned out to be incorrect (Annie Clements marrying a John Paterson in Hampshire and people named Ellen Clements and John Paterson living near each other in Larne NI signing the declaration in 1912, he died in 1920)

So......... married maybe/maybe not but I would like to find something the only thing I can think of is electoral roles if someone has access to them and /or directories between 1911 -1960 for this address 1 Summers Terrace, Morton, Swinderby Lincs (I know this is where 'they' lived as this is the address I visited as a child) until she was moved to South Scarle.
    I am not spending £42 on the National Registration Cert from 1939 as she is not 'my' ancestor and I can't justify that amount

It seems in early life she was called Nellie and in some records too, but I knew her as Great Aunt Ellen, although my Granddad called her Nellie

Ellen (Nellie) Clements:
    2Q 1889 Oakham 7a 352 born in Puddingbag Lane Exton Rutland
    Bap 1 July 1889 St Peters and St Pauls Exton DE3012/8
    1901 11 yrs living Besthorpe Nottinghamshire
    1911 21yrs Nurse Domestic Woodside 8 Private Road Bulwell Nottingham
    Died 7 May 1972 South Scarle Newark Nottinghamshire
    Bur 10 May 1972 South Scarle Newark Nottinghamshire

Burial: 10 May 1972, St Helena South Scarle Nottinghamshire
    Ellen PATERSON
    Abode: South Scarle
    Grave Details: 2nd Cemetery South Scarle
    Buried by: R. PALIN, Vicar of Harby
    Register: Burials 1813 - 1985, Page 74, Entry 592
    Source: Original Register

Ellen's parents William Blay Smith, but changed his name to Blay Clements (his mothers maiden name) and Anne Dalby both born Exton Rutland, both lived in Nottinghamshire, Blay went onto marry again
    Siblings of Ellen
    John 1886-1888 2yrs Exton
    Dora 1887-1951
    Ellen 1889-1972
    Hilda 1892
    Ruby 1893 -aft 1987
    Sid 1896-1977
    Leonard 1898-1973
    Harold 1901-1901 5 months old South Scarle
    Aubery 1907-1971 ( immigrated to Canada)

John Paterson: I have taken from the black marble MI inscription personally
    26 September 1959 72yrs South Scarle Newark Nottinghamshire
    although have found online 4Q 1957 82yrs Newark 3c 233

Burial: 29 Sep 1959, St Helena South Scarle Nottinghamshire
    John PATERSON
    Abode: 1 Summers Terrace, Morton, Swinderby
    Grave Details: 2nd Cemetery South Scarle
    Buried by: R. J. STEVENS, Priest-in-Charge
    Register: Burials 1813 - 1985, Page 74, Entry 590
    Source: Original Register

(so I ONLY know he died/buried, nothing more)
    Foxyloxy

This looks a more suitable death registration for John ..

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 (source Ancestry)
    John Paterson - born c1886
    Date of Registration: Sep 1959
    Registration District: North Kesteven (Lincolnshire)
    Volume: 3b
    Page: 87
    Elaine

Comment

Yes it does Elaine thank you for that.

I think that the only additional infrmation I will get from getting his death cert is a possible occupation, but of course it may just say retired
      Foxyloxy

Comment

Have you eliminated this marriage for Ellen Clements ..
        Marriages Jun 1914
        Ellen Clements / William H Stanley
        Basford 7b 399
        Elaine

Comment

Do you know of any children born to Ellen (Nellie) ?
          Elaine

Comment

I know of no other marriage, not even if she was married to John Paterson, although with the family as they were I think she would have been. I remember her talking about him, he was always talked about as 'her husband' my mother and grandmother if they said anything, it would be 'Ellens husband, John...blah blah" the only thing I remember was 'Irish, drunk and not nice man'

No children, she may have had children who died, but certainly none living that I am aware of, who would have been my mothers cousin/s and I knew all of them, including ones who lived far away
            Foxyloxy

Comment

if John died before Ellen, who registered Ellen's death? [it may also say on Johns death cert who registered the death, and if it was Ellen should say wife of deceased?]
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by foxyloxy View Post
                Yes it does Elaine thank you for that.

I think that the only additional infrmation I will get from getting his death cert is a possible occupation, but of course it may just say retired
                From the death cert you will get the name of the informant who may or may not be a relative - could be Nellie or a child you were not aware of.

Margaret

Comment

if John died before Ellen, who registered Ellen's death? [it may also say on Johns death cert who registered the death, and if it was Ellen should say wife of deceased?]
                  I would assume Ellen registered his death.
                  Ellen's was registered by my Grand mother.

As her burial says Ellen Paterson, plus how Ellen and 'family' rerefered to him, they were married. So was hoping someone had access to electoral rolls and /or directories after 1911 and before he died in 1959 which proved via a written document that he lived in Morton. ( I know he did, but that knowing is hearsay even if it was directly from Ellen)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X7YD-74F I was looking at this, know it says born in Scotland and my family do know the difference between a Scottish accent and an Irish accent , but?
                  Last edited by foxyloxy; 06-09-13, 17:28.
                  Foxyloxy

Comment

I think that the ERs would possibly be at Nottm Archives [or Angel row library, possibly]

Paterson is a Scots surname I think, so, might be more to it than originally thought..

oh, I have just noticed that the Address is Lincolnshire, so that would then therefore mean that it would be Lincolnshire Archives you would need.
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 06-09-13, 17:45.
                    Julie

Comment

Yes, however I don't live anywhere near Lincolnshire, that would mean a flight and coach trips, one up to Newark and another on to Lincoln to get there, plus an overnight and that is certainly not happening this year
                      Foxyloxy

Comment

You can pay the archives to do a look up for you - cheaper than travelling to the archive!

I wouldn't be too sure they were married JUST because everyone referred to them as married. I've just done a tree for a friend who was absolutely adamant that her parents were married and even knew where. I could not find any such marriage (maiden name very rare) and eventually it transpired that the youngest child knew they were not married, but had been sworn to secrecy! The joke(?) was that my friend "had" to get married and her parents didn't speak to her for two years!

OC

Comment

Tell me about it one of my relations is VERY verbally against singles living together, single parents and has never been 'backwards in coming forwards' so to speak in letting anyone and everyone know this, her husband died, she met and married someone several years later, her own daughter informed her she was getting married sooner rather than later ( their wedding was planned for two years away) as they were having a child. All hell broke loose Only when I researched did I find not only was her daughter born 6 months after she married ( daughter has no idea) but her mothers' 35 year second marriage there was no record of only eventually I found she married 18 months ago and had changed her name by deed poll 35years ago. No one said anything and she still thinks no one knows
                          Foxyloxy

Comment

I have had some success with local libraries for electoral registers as they do sometimes have historical ones and are willing to look at a few years for you. Just worth a try for the address you have.

The other way would be to put a request on the Research Requests Board on here and someone might be kind enough to go and have a look for you but you need to establish where the registers are so you can specify where the visit is to.
                            Margaret
                            Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-09-13, 18:35.

Comment

Originally posted by foxyloxy View Post
                              Yes, however I don't live anywhere near Lincolnshire, that would mean a flight and coach trips, one up to Newark and another on to Lincoln to get there, plus an overnight and that is certainly not happening this year
                              blimey Foxy.. where are you??? Alaska?
                              Julie

Comment

blimey Foxy.. where are you??? Alaska?

Ireland........ but it would mean a 4am start from here to either Dublin or Belfast , so a drive to get to the rail station, then a bus onto the airport, a flight to Robin hood, plus coach then into Newark and then change and another into Lincoln, arriving about lunchtime, if I could get back to Robin Hood then I would have to leave by 4pm , same return travel and would be back about 11 30pm......... a week off to recoup hence why I say an overnight.:p
                                Last edited by foxyloxy; 06-09-13, 21:51.
                                Foxyloxy

Comment

Working...
                                X