Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Records

Hi

This is probably a remote chance but I've found the newspaper reports of one of my relatives doing a very bad job of attempting petty crime in London in 1934. He even made the Singapore papers - must have been a slow news day. He was charged at West London and it says he was remanded in custody. We don't know what the eventual outcome was, but nothing much must have happened because he didn't lose his job apparently. I was wondering whether any other records would still exist to tell us more.

Thanks.

guess you could try emailing the local archives to the court, and seeing if court records exist? london metropolitan archives?

Comment

Two good ideas, thanks. I suppose I should do a search and see whether West London court still exists as such or has been renamed something else.

Comment

The records at court may be just a line in the court register confirming his appearance/offence/pleas and sentence. There may be no "court papers" as such, especially if it was a minor offence dealt with at what were then known as Police courts (now magistrates court). Case papers for more serious offences sometimes end up at The National Archives at Kew (I was reading a very interesting murder file from the 1930s there recently).

If the court was West London - it probably refers to the old court that was in Southcombe St, near Olympia - now closed.

Records of West London Magistrates Court, 1877-2001, including court registers; registers for means enquiries, Small Tenement Act cases, civil debt cases, ex-parte cases, and licence renewals; M...
        Last edited by AntonyM; 06-09-13, 09:36.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated. I would be grateful for any info, no matter how small. I'll definitely contact the LMA.

Comment

Working...
          X