One for Elaine, maybe?FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for Elaine, maybe?FTM

Or anyone else that might be able to help....I have FTM 2012 on my laptop...I have bought an Ipad...I need to somehow send a copy of FTM to the Ipad...I know I won't be able to add to it, I just need it to read when I am out and about with my Ipad. Now I know that many moons ago I did copy my FTM and sent it to an email account, then downloaded it to another computer (please don't ask me why or how I done it!! lol, I just know I did) I opened a new email account to download it into,as I was worried about the size of it...but I know I done it, just can't remember how???...or is there any other way to get a copy on to my ipad....with all this tech stuff now there must be a way....any suggestions would be gratefully receieved.....thank you.... Lilly

Lilly, unfortunately FTM 2012 is not compatible with Apple computers. You would need to get FTM for Mac - export the GEDCOM from FTM on your laptop and import it into FTM on the ipad! You then have the continual problem of working on one or the other, unless you continually want to export/import GEDCOMs all the time.

Do you have an Ancestry account? If so I would suggest you sync your tree on FTM (from the laptop) with Ancestry, which you could then access when you are using the ipad, either directly through Ancestry on the web, or via an Ancestry app which you can install on the ipad.
    Elaine

Comment

.. or if you only want to access your tree, rather than work on it - export a GEDCOM from FTM and upload as a tree to one of the online tree building sites, such as Tribal Pages, Mundia, Ancestry to name a few. These can be set to private so that they are not in the public domain.
      Elaine

Comment

Ancestry app for ipad/iphone
        ‎Explore who and where you came from through photos, stories, historical records, and so much more— even your ethnicity and family communities if you’ve taken an AncestryDNA® test. And with just one relative’s name, you can start to discover your family history anytime, anywhere with Ancestry®, the t…
        Elaine

Comment

Hmm thanks, I forgot about Ipad being an Apple, funny enough I was looking at new FTM programs the mac ones and thought Oh thats cheap, but remembered ( just in time) I have no disc player anyway looks like I stuck, as laptop is windows 7 just to add to the problem. but hey yet again you came up with a solution, with Tribal pages I have one of those, just need to down load all of the tree to Tribal pages.....and it will do the job prefectly....yet another problem solved by our wonderful Elaine.....gosh what would we do without you...thank you, yet again.........Lilly

Comment

Thanks Lilly!
            Of course, the only problem is you will need internet access to view it, as I am sure you realise.
            Elaine

Comment

I think I may be able to help. I too have Family Tree Maker 2012, albeit on my desktop. Whilst I have had FTM for quite some years, just the other month for the very first time I uploaded it to Ancestry. Never done this before because of security concerns.

However I found out recently that one can control whether your online tree is able to be seen as a public member tree or privately shared among a few friends and family. If one does not share it and exclude it from Ancestry Search Index, it will be invisible to anyone who searches online. So with that re-assurance I uploaded it, carefully ticking or unticking the relevant boxes to Ancestry.

I then downloaded the free 'App', Ancestry, and cannot remember now, but probably had to 'log in' and, hey presto, my tree is there on the iPad to view. Click on myself and some of my ancestors appear. Click on someone else in the Tree and you get another line. Totally brilliant. You don't have to be on-line either to view your Tree on the iPad.

Also, later when you update your Tree, if you then go to 'Plan' (top left) and then click on 'Sync Now' you will find later when you go on the iPad it is all updated.

Hope that helps.

George

Comment

Good point George!
                I have to admit that I didn't realise you don't have to be online to view the tree through the Ancestry app.
                I've got the app on my Kindle and just checked ... and yes, you can view the tree offline!
                You learn something new every day!
                Elaine

Comment

Ooooh well done George, yet another idea, I am always afraid of using ancestry for my tree, and I am frighten if I forget to do something, it will became public, but your way sounds good...I have just managed to access my Tribal page account (don't use it much) when my daughter said, why don't you check out all of the Apples apps, (on the desktop of ipad) so I did, and low and behold their are loads of family tree programmes that I could down loaded to view on this ipad.....so way to go...lol. I think I will try the ancestry one first.....oh Elaine....you can get an app on your Kindle, really how???..haha...please share...can your read your tree on their as well. gosh I will have tree sprouting from everywhere...many thanks to you both......Lilly

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
                    ...oh Elaine....you can get an app on your Kindle, really how???..haha...please share.
                    I've got a Kindle Fire - the app wont work on a normal Kindle reader.

I think this is very similar to the Ancestry app available for ipad/iphone, if not the same. Basically it has connected to my Ancestry account - downloaded my tree from there - and I can read it offline on the Kindle (as I discovered last night!)
                    Very useful if you just want access when you are out and about.
                    It also appears I can edit the tree on the Kindle, which I presume then syncs back to Ancestry when you are online, if that is what you want it to do. Personally not the way I work but it looks as if the facility might be there, as George explained earlier.
                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                    X