Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't you find that baptism? Here's one reason.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't you find that baptism? Here's one reason.

I've been doing some research in Essex and I knew that a birth took place on a certain date. Could I find the baptism? No. Until, that is, I discovered in the archives the Parish Clerk's 'Memoranda of Baptisms'. In it were listed all the baptisms which took place and which should have then been transferred to the Register. In several cases, including my one, they had not been not transferred. I assume a clerical error.

Unfortunately, such a discovery of another source for baptisms is very rare.

Thought I would share this in case anyone comes across a similar document in their research.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Phil

I do know of one source of baptisms (nonconformist) which turned up in a diary or daybook written by the minister. The original register has disappeared.

OC

Comment

Looking on Ancestry and FMP for images of baptisms for my One Name study I sometimes find books which have been filmed and are more like notebooks. Quite often the "proper" baptism book is filmed as well. Sometimes the notebook has different or extra information!!!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
        I've been doing some research in Essex and I knew that a birth took place on a certain date. Could I find the baptism? No. Until, that is, I discovered in the archives the Parish Clerk's 'Memoranda of Baptisms'. In it were listed all the baptisms which took place and which should have then been transferred to the Register. In several cases, including my one, they had not been not transferred. I assume a clerical error.

Unfortunately, such a discovery of another source for baptisms is very rare.

Thought I would share this in case anyone comes across a similar document in their research.
        Yes all Parish Registers are transcripts of the day-book or rough book. The entries used to be transcribed into the register each Sunday after morning or evening prayers.
        Some registers are transcripts of transcripts and Bishop's Transcripts can be transcripts of these third copies.

I have always advised that researchers check all available copies of registers that are available as differences do appear.
        One parish I heard had four different copies of the parish register.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks everyone, your examples show that it's worth not dismissing apparently duplicate versins of a register!
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

This thread also points up the importance of investigating far and wide and not just relying on BMDs, census, church records etc. I discovered the existence of the "daybook" records whilst reading an old local history pamphlet, which explained the complicated history of the noncons in that small village AND the fact that the local vicar in the late 1700s was somewhat eccentric, for want of a better word, and believed that the church registers belonged to him. When he was dismissed over some scandal, he took the register with him!

Another chance discovery was from an old county history book, boring in the extreme, but with the little gem that the early methodist records for this Lancashire village were amongst the Yorkshire circuit records and were wrongly attributed to one small chapel.

OC

Comment

I found one where the PRs had the wrong mother for a child. Lucky for me, the bishop knew the family and actually read the PRs. It is all corrected in the BT with a family tree going back two more generations just to prove his point. Not sure I would have liked to cross that bishop. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                Yes all Parish Registers are transcripts of the day-book or rough book. The entries used to be transcribed into the register each Sunday after morning or evening prayers.
                Seriously. OK, that might explain why my g'g'grandfather's sister, baptized on the same day as three of her siblings, is Elizabeth on the register instead of Esther (as she was named on her Cert and on Census). If it was transcribed, suddenly there's a strong explanation.

Anyone know if the Day-book exists for St Dunstan, Stepney in 1844. Maybe that would have recorded the DOBs, too!
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 05-09-13, 03:32.

Comment

Sounds like instead of expanding the family tree along the edges, I had better concentrate on looking for day books and other records for those I have serious questions about. Maybe some mysteries might be resolved.
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Google is the family historian's friend!

And don't forget the much-underused LDS Library catalogue. This lists all kinds of obscure publications about various people and places. You may not always be able to borrow the item from the LDS but at least you will have a title to go and search for elsewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      Google is the family historian's friend!

And don't forget the much-underused LDS Library catalogue.
                      Thanks, OC - I'd already checked familysearch's catalog. Now I've checked TNA's. Day books for baptisms seem to end in 1837 in St Dunstan, Stepney. If anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Comment

http://archive.org/details/marriageregister02step St Dunstan Marriage Records read on line book 1898 only 100 copies of this book printed, the book says marriage and birth records.
                        If you google the name of the church or place there is much to be found in google books
                        Edna

The date of publishing was 1898 the register dates as follows

Table of Contents

v.1. 1568-1639.
                        v.2. 1640-1696.
                        v.3. 1697-1719.
                        Last edited by clematised; 05-09-13, 17:27.

Comment

Thanks, Edna - I'm specifically looking for the Day Book, not the register, and just baptisms. The day books seem to exist for burials and I think marriages, but not baptisms in the specific year I need (1844).

I have the baptism, but I think there's a transcription error on the fourth child's name.

Comment

Sorry I couldn't be of further help but that info may be of use to someone else perhaps

Edna

Comment

The day books may no longer exist, or may exist but haven't been catalogued, or have been miscatalogued. Or you may find the information you need by using other channels such as books printed about the church or area, or family etc, which is how I found mine.

OC

Comment

This thread is called: Why can't you find that baptism? Here's one reason.

I've just found another reason. Entry in a parish marriage register 1765 in Essex.

'The name of Bird was Simpson and Henry was James. Their names altered by John Leggett clerk being bribed by some persons whom he thinks said they came from Brightlingsea.'

I wonder how many got away with it?
                                Phil
                                historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

That's a good one. LOL
                                  Anne

Comment

Working...
                                  X