what is captain powell's name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is captain powell's name?

"i give and beqeath to my dear mother named ann powell, wife of capt ....... powell five hundred pounds 500 in case of the death of the said ....... powell, and he should not have sufficiently to"

what is captain powell's name? this an extract from a will of 1780, from the national archives. i don't want to give much context because i want to be objective.

My best attempt is M Clinch Powell
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I think it might be W Clinch Powell.

Margaret

Comment

Looking again I think you're right Margaret, that is a W not an M isn't it
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

it does look like an 'm', but comparing it to the others, it's different. so it must be a 'w'. so clinch? i guess it does resemble the 'c' in 'care'. i had wondered if it was 'clinth'.

Comment

It looks like "Ch" at the start to me - compare the first two letters of "Christian." My immediate response was Church, but the second "c" is missing.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

yes, it does janet. there is a dot above it, though, so i think that there is an 'i' in the word. ugh why couldnt they make legible handwriting 230 years ago?

Comment

Lovely writing! It looks like (after magnifying) ELIURLI - doesn't make sense?
                Vonny.

Comment

Could it possibly be a very poor rendition of Charles???

Comment

I agree with Judith and Margaret that it's W Clinch Powell. The penultimate letter initially looks like r but compare how what is definitely the letter c in the word sufficiently two lines below is formed in the same way.
                    Christine
                    Last edited by Karamazov; 04-09-13, 01:15.
                    Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

thankyou christine. so captain w. clinch powell. now if only i could find evidence of his existance outside of the will!

Comment

There's a hit on Google Books for a Walpole Clinch Powell and a Will at the National Archives for a Walpole CLENCH Powell in 1808. Now whether it's the same man or whether he was a Capatain, I don't know!
                        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

thankyou everybody for helping me, especially anne swabey, i hit pay dirt because of you! the will for walpole was proved in 1808, even though he died in 1796. he left a lot of bequests to a lot of nieces and nephews, and his wife anne. but no mention in the will of anne's family. until the probate. it was granted to her son, and i'm thrilled!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            thankyou everybody for helping me, especially anne swabey, i hit pay dirt because of you! the will for walpole was proved in 1808, even though he died in 1796. he left a lot of bequests to a lot of nieces and nephews, and his wife anne. but no mention in the will of anne's family. until the probate. it was granted to her son, and i'm thrilled!
                            Oh brilliant! Well done Ann! shows what the power of combined expertise on FTF can do!!
                            Margaret

Comment

A great result

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

A great find, Ann.

There is some more brief info re Walpole Clinch Powell here on ACAD (A Cambridge Alumni Database):

Kyle - it might be well worth your while doing further searches within this database for other names that have arisen from Ann's discovery. The level of detail can be astounding and really helpful in establishing further relationships.

Christine
                                Researching:
                                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

thank you for the idea christine. have found quite a few gentry ancestors from the 1600's in that database.

Comment

Brilliant! Pleased to have helped.
                                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                    X