Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry + Facebook

I know some of you are on Facebook.
    But have any of you linked Facebook to their tree on Ancestry and how much info does it insert into your tree ?

I came across the following Public tree and was amazed at the info on living people . I do not know if the owner has linked to Facebook but it seems likely ( He is a 41 year old Male ) .

If you search for Albert Fanstone b. 1879 Hampshire .
    Then go to Family Trees / Public Trees and open the 4th from bottom The T*** Family Tree .
    You should then see the Profile of Albert Fanstone and a nice photo of him .
    Click on View his Family Tree and there lots of photos mainly deceased people .
    If you look to the left of Albert Fanstone and down about 3 inches there is a Male R W L 1942
    Expand his tree and there are loads of Photos of Living people , even down to a Girl b. 2007 and a Boy b. 2004 .

I first came across this tree on Mundia and was amazed that somebody would put all this on a Public tree .

Ken

I did it once by accident. I was attempting to give my sister access to the tree, luckily I realized what I did and stopped access immediately.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by kenw55 View Post
      I know some of you are on Facebook.
      But have any of you linked Facebook to their tree on Ancestry and how much info does it insert into your tree ?

I came across the following Public tree and was amazed at the info on living people . I do not know if the owner has linked to Facebook but it seems likely ( He is a 41 year old Male ) .

If you search for Albert Fanstone b. 1879 Hampshire .
      Then go to Family Trees / Public Trees and open the 4th from bottom The T*** Family Tree .
      You should then see the Profile of Albert Fanstone and a nice photo of him .
      Click on View his Family Tree and there lots of photos mainly deceased people .
      If you look to the left of Albert Fanstone and down about 3 inches there is a Male R W L 1942
      Expand his tree and there are loads of Photos of Living people , even down to a Girl b. 2007 and a Boy b. 2004 .

I first came across this tree on Mundia and was amazed that somebody would put all this on a Public tree .

Ken
      Well, when you look at the stuff people say on facebook any photos etc are 'small beer'.

Some people live their lives via Facebook telling all and sundry what they had for breakfast and how they are feeling about themselves and anybody else they feel like commenting about.

It's a sad fact that some people have got no idea of privacy or confidentiality and this is only set to increase.

That's my rant for the day!

Margaret

Comment

ken

I was once given access to someone's tree on Ancestry - nothing to do with FB - and was aastonished and very taken aback to see very personal information about a living person, including their full address and telephone number AND full details of their children and where the children went to school.

The living person was only at best a very distant relation of the tree owner, through a marriage in the 1600s. When I asked the tree owner if he had permission of the living person to include such detail he replied that all the information was "in the public domain" anyway. It well may be, but I for one am horrified at the complete disregard for the privacy of a stranger and I want nothing to do with such "research".

OC

Comment

I am confused as to how/why this can happen.

According to Ancestry privacy settings for public trees,
          Public Tree
          Making your tree public benefits you and the community
          When your trees are publicly viewable, it is easier to find relatives using the Ancestry.com sites.
          Members of Ancestry.com sites can get in touch with you and help with your research. (This is done without showing your name or email address.)
          All personal information is protected
          Information about living people is automatically hidden from others and is NOT included in our search index.
          You can change your mind and make your tree private anytime.
          Only you can edit your tree unless you invite people to work with you.
          So how can someone add details of living people to their tree, and allow that info to be viewed by all and sundry?
          Elaine

Comment

I have read somewhere on Ancestry that you can override the settings and show Living people .
            I can not find it at the moment but it can obviously be done .

Ken

Comment

A couple of years ago my cousin put up a tree which showed details of my living parents, although other living people were hidden. When asked to change them to private, she did not know how, and instead made her whole tree private. I realised though that she had not entered any date of birth for them, as she did not know them and because of this the 100 year rule did not come into effect and so my parents were shown. I don't know if this still applies.
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

But on the tree I linked to all the people have dates of birth , although some must have complained because they are Private

Ken

Comment

Working...
                X