Walter Henry Hemming b. 1860

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Henry Hemming b. 1860

Having found the Hemmings in 1861 in Welford on Avon, the census sheet shows:

Emeline Hemming, wid, 42, b. Marlcliffe, Warks
    Mary Hemming, daur, unmarried, 19, b. Cleeve Prior
    Judith Hemming, daur, unmarried, 13, b. Howden, Warks
    Thomas Hemming, son, 9, b. Howden, Warks
    Walter H Hemming, grandson, 4m, b. Welford on Avon, Glos*

*bit of a mystery to me how Welford can ever have been in Glos, but now it's in Warks. Anyway ...

The most obvious person to be Walter's mother would be 19yo Mary, and FS has a baptism on 1 Jan 1861 in Welford, of a Walter Henry Hemming s/o Mary Hemming, which almost seals it for me.

Problem is, I can't find a birth reg for the little chap. The only choices seem to be:

Walter Hemming, b. Q4 1860 in Martley, Worcs
    Walter Henry Hennings, b. Q4 1860 in Lambeth, London
    Walter Hemming, b. Q1 1861 in Stourbridge, Worcs.

I've found Walter on all the relevant census records:

In 1871 he's living with his uncle George Hemming in Cleeve Prior, Worcs. Says he was b. Welford
    In 1881 he's a lodger in Aston, Birmingham. Says he was b. Cleeve Prior.
    In 1882 he marries Amy Jackson in Aston.
    In 1891 he's with Amy and children in Aston. Says he was b. Cleeve Prior.
    In 1901 he's with Amy and even more children in Aston. Says he was b. Cleeve Prior.
    By 1911 Amy is a widow, and there's a death of a Walter H Hemming in 1909 in Birmingham, so that seems to fit.

In 1871 while he's living with his uncle George, his mother Mary, is a servant in London, so I'm wondering if she was in London 10yrs earlier and he's the one b. in Lambeth.

Of course, I've ordered certificates from the GRO before, but never specified a parent, so not entirely sure how to do it.

Do you think the Lambeth one is likely to be the best bet, and if so, how do I specify I only want the cert if the child's mother is a single woman called Mary Hemming?
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

You did used to be able to give a checking reference of a detail like the mother's name but they stopped that a while back.
    Your best bet is to try the local Register Office and see if they would check first before issuing the cert - they are more flexible as they are not fully automated like GRO.

I would go for the Lambeth one as it seems most likely that she had the child away and then came 'home' with him.

Margaret

Comment

I don't think it is the Lambeth one!

The 1871 census shows a Walter H Hennings, born c1861 Lambeth. son of Richard and Mary Hennings.
      Piece: 670 Folio: 62 Page: 2
      Elaine

Comment

Oh, thanks v.much Elaine. Saved me £9.75!

I was going to say, so it's a toss up between Martley and Stourbridge, but ...

... on the 1871 census when the child is with his Uncle George, he's listed as Henry (i.e. no Walter), and there's a Henry Hemming b. Q4 in Stratford-upon-Avon Reg District, and Welford comes under Stratford.

How does that sound? Clutching at straws?

Comment

I saw the registration for the Henry Hemming in Stratford - agree it's a possible. Just having a look to see if I can eliminate him but Ancestry is down at the moment!
          Elaine

Comment

On the 1881, there's a Henry Hemmings living in Sowe, Warwickshire. Servant. Down as "ag lab (indoor)". Born Coundon, Warwickshire which according to google maps is just over 20 miles from Stratford.

Comment

i would just contact the local register office (to where his birth was registered) and explain the issue to them. his birth may not have made it to the GRO indexes.

Comment

or his birth wasn't registered. the baptism might include something, like the address of mary at the time, which may seal the deal.

Comment

I've been trying to eliminate the other Walter Henry/Henry Hemming(s), but keep coming back to Henry, registered in Stratford. I've looked on the Stratford RD website, but they don't seem to have him listed.

Anyone any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                  X