Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessie Goodhand 1891

I have come across a brick wall :(
    My great grandfather had a sister called Jessie Goodhand , born in 1890/1 in Grimsby.
    My research stops in 1911 when she was a servant to a swiss family in Bradford.

I found 4 marriages with a Jessie Goodhand, no deaths where Jessie with her surname may be the right one.
    She possibly married a Sidney Fryer in 1913 in Scunthorpe, or a Samuel Ossenershaw in Ashton in 1915.

I can find no children with Fryer and 2 children with Ollenenshaw.

?

Ian Goodhand

Hello Ian and welcome to FTF.

The marriage to Samuel Ollerenshaw looks the most likely, given where she was working in 1911. If you send for the MC it will have her father's name on it which will help to rule this marriage in or out.

OC

Comment

Samuel Ollerenshaw died in 1923 aged 32 and his widow may have remarried in 1925, to Thomas Cosgrove.

Needs checking of course, it may not be your Jessie at all.

OC

Comment

Have you discounted the 1911 marriage to James Collingwood?

Was your Jessie a twin?

OC

Comment

There is a death for a Jessie Collingwood in Scunthope in 1968 - says born c1890 aged 78. Reference is Scunthorpe Lincolnshire 3b 358
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There are 6 likely births for children born between 1912 and 1927 - 3 boys and 3 girls - all born Gladford Brigg Lincolnshire.

Comment

There's another Jessie of the same age born at Worlaby which is in Glanford Brigg district. Chances are she's the one who married Mr Collingwood.
              Jay

Comment

The Collingwood marriage is on familsearch, Jessie father is named as Charles Goodhand so she is the other one as I believe Ian's is the daughter of George and Emma.
                Jay

Comment

I think the 1913 marriage to Fryer isn't her either - it is out of area and there is another Jessie R Goodhand in the Medway area who would fit better.

So that just leaves the Ollerneshaw marriage and subsequent details I quoted above. You will have to get the MC to progress I think.

OC

Comment

I don't know whather it's yours or not Ian but have you noticed that someone on Ancestry has a photo of George?

I have checked Ancestry and GR trees but nobody seems to know what happened to her either. There are quite a lot on GR who have Jessie but by cross checking I couldn't find any of them who had the names of the husbands that you have been looking at.

Comment

Firstly, its amazing how quick I got a reply, I am new to this website and its sooo good to share when after hours of searching, my head hurts.

THANKS everyone for your replies!!!

The photo of George (my great great grandfather) I added to Ancestry tree and I think some people have copied it.

I too think its the Ollerenshaw especially after reading the helpful comments above but as you say to be sure I need the MC. I found they had 2 children Samuel and Frederick, I then found Samuels family etc but as I delved deeper I felt so unsure I was on the right road as these were based in Ashton and she was last in Bradford and born in Grimsby.

Also very interesting as I did not consider her possibly marrying again (I will check that out) as I have just found a Jessie Ollerenshaw died in 1980 in Sheffield who was born on 8 Jan 1891. Possibly the same?

This family history can be so challenging and that's where these sort of sites can help no end.

Thanks everyone, I feel like I owe you all a favour

I shall definitely use this site for not just posting but seeing if I can help anyone

Also as mentioned above I can find no trace of anyone having info on Jessie

Comment

There is no birth registration in 1891 for a Jessie Goodhand (two though in 1890, as you know) but the information on death certs can so often be wrong - birth date a year out is quite common.

If she did remarry in 1925 to Cosgrove, then subsequnt children were registered with mother's maiden name Ollerenshaw, which is incorrect of course, but perhaps whoever registered the children didn't understand what "maiden name" meant and gave her previous (married) name.

Or perhaps it isn't her at all!

OC

Comment

If Ollerenshaw is the right marriage it looks as though there was a daughter born first but the surname is mistranscribed. I won't put the name here in case the person is still alive but you can find it by putting births in Ashton with mother's maiden name Goodhand
                          Jackie

Comment

There was an Ollerenshaw/Goodhand daughter born in 1916 - surname correctly transcribed on Cheshirebmd.

The more I look at the possible remarriage in 1925 to Cosgrove, the less likely I think it is, because all the numerous children have mmn as Ollerenshaw, so I think the Jessie Ollerenshaw who married Cosgrove was a spinster, not a widow.

OC

Comment

As you say I think the second marriage is a no go. I have traced all the way down on the Ollerenshaw side and sent them messages but sadly no replies yet.

I simply need the MC of Jessie Goodhand and Samuel Ollerenshaw.

Comment

Jesse Goodhand

[QUTE=iangoodhand;2459877]I have come across a brick wall :(
                                My great grandfather had a sister called Jessie Goodhand , born in 1890/1 in Grimsby.
                                My research stops in 1911 when she was a servant to a swiss family in Bradford.

I found 4 marriages with a Jessie Goodhand, no deaths where Jessie with her surname may be the right one.
                                She possibly married a Sidney Fryer in 1913 in Scunthorpe, or a Samuel Ossenershaw in Ashton in 1915.

I can find no children with Fryer and 2 children with Ollenenshaw.

?

Ian Goodhand[/QUOTE]

Comment

Jesse born 1890 in Worlaby to Charles and Elizabeth ( nee Lockwood) married James Collingwood who was illegitimate. My grandmother was her elder sister Ada.

Comment

If you haven't already found it, this site may eventually be of use, but the images stop just too soon for what you want, just now, I think:

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                    X