Help deciphering handwriting please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help deciphering handwriting please

Can anyone make out the 2nd line of handwriting alongside line 22 Mrs Jane Jackson in the link below. first line is "Going to live with sister" but I'm stumped by the handwritten note underneath this.

Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Can't make out the first and third words.

? on ? wont work
    Jay

Comment

possibly:
      living on income ? work
      Elaine

Comment

Living on income wont work???

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
          Living on income wont work???
          I agree and probably means she is not looking to work otherwise might need a visa/permit?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            I agree and probably means she is not looking to work otherwise might need a visa/permit?

Margaret
            Thanks everybody.
            I'm guessing this comment was added as she was a trained nurse as recorded on the image - presumably Canada would have welcomed immigrants who were trained nurses?
            Would a permit/visa have been required? She was a British citizen heading for Macleod, Alberta in 1907. I know zilch about the political history of Canada at this time - was Alberta part of the Dominion of Canada at this time and therefore British too? (Pardon my ignorance.)
            As it turns out from new information uncovered yesterday, she went on to run a nursing home in Alberta so perhaps the income dwindled or ran out ...
            christine
            Last edited by Karamazov; 02-09-13, 09:02.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
              Thanks everybody.
              I'm guessing this comment was added as she was a trained nurse as recorded on the image - presumably Canada would have welcomed immigrants who were trained nurses?
              Would a permit/visa have been required? She was a British citizen heading for Macleod, Alberta in 1907. I know zilch about the political history of Canada at this time - was Alberta part of the Dominion of Canada at this time and therefore British too? (Pardon my ignorance.)
              As it turns out from new information uncovered yesterday, she went on to run a nursing home in Alberta so perhaps the income dwindled or ran out ...
              christine
              I don't know whether a permit or visa would have been required but why make that observation if it was not of interest to know whether she would work or not?

Margaret

Comment

Working...
              X