Where was Mum sent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was Mum sent?

My Mum's father had a son with his first wife. When she died, he married my grandmother, who died in 1916, leaving my Mum (5) and her stepbrother (8). Robert Bourn then married again in 1921 and my Mum always said that she didn't 'get on' with her stepmother and was sent to an orphanage. Now, I've learned that sons were often kept behind to follow in father's trade, but as I didn't ask the question, I've no idea where Mum could have been sent. How I wish I'd asked the questions when she was here!

All this happened from 1921 onwards. I have Robert Bourn living in Longridge, Lancashire in 1914, from the death cert of his son. Robert died in 1931 in Liverpool and the death cert doesn't mention his third wife (Maretta), only his son, William

The only clue I have, is that Mum trained as a nurse at The Southern Hospital in Liverpool (now closed). Could she have been sent to an 'Industrial School', where girls were prepared for a career? Perhaps in Liverpool, as that's where Robert died. Mum and Dad married in Liverpool, where Dad's parents lived and Mum gave that as her address too - interesting............

But, how on earth do I progress this mystery?

I've had a breakthrough in tracing Mum's mother's grave and the two little ones who died as tiny infants, so it's put me on a roll now, to try to trace this. I don't know whether 'an orphanage' meant what we take it as today, so I'd be so grateful for any suggestions.

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

rather than an orphanage how about a workhouse? ill see if i can find anything for you.x

Comment

Gwyn,

I have a similar scenario with my Dad, he was orphaned and I can't find out where he was.....when he joined the army he had his sister as NOK, she lived in Dorothy St Liverpool (she was too young to be his and his brothers guardian) ......I really do yearn to know as it will help to build a background and help me to "feel" as though I know him a bit more.....sadly, he died 3 months before I was born.

I hope your "roll" brings you the result you want, Gwyn ;)

PS..Would Robert Bourn have been in the army....maybe his papers can give more family info...
      Jacky

Comment

Thank you both.

'Tilly Mint' - that's what my Dad used to call me :o! - brings back memories.............

I can't see an Army record for Robert - perhaps he was retained as vital to the country, being a farmer in 1914.

Gwyn

Comment

It may be an idea to try and track back Mums nursing career and see if there are any records for her in the early days of her career

Edna
          http://www.liverpoolnursing150.org.uk/memories.html
          http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=138-614sou&cid=-1#-1

Comment

Thanks for the links, Edna. I'll see if there are any clues there! How I wish I'd asked more questions when I was younger, but I think that's a common moan isn't it?

Gwyn

Comment

Maybe school records near to the known address of 1914...or that from marriage certificate of 1921..will show your mum's attendance and perhaps where she went on to from there.

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
              X