Bankrupt in the 1920s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankrupt in the 1920s

Does anyone know if there is an index of people who were declared bankrupt?

I am looking at the 1920s in Cumberland. In particular Joseph Brown and James Little Brown.. I feel sure that at some time when I have been going through index on Ancestry and FMP I've seen a heading Bankruptcy but just cannot trace it.

A point in the right direction would be much appreciated. If I google Bankruptcy all I get is how to go bankrupt now.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

TNA guide here:

Also - search the London Gazette (http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/) , The Times, and any local newspapers.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Also, chances are that there was something about it in the local paper (local to where they lived, I mean), so that might be worth a look too.

My ggf was declared bankrupt in 1913, and there were odd bits in "his" local paper. Found the newspaper cuttings on FMP.
      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Many thanks for responding. Shall give them a try.
        Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

I found details of my gr grandfather's bankruptcy in "The weekly notes" by putting his name in google books. This was in 1894 so I'm not sure it can be done for 1920s. All it gave really was the exact date and the court but this helped to narrow things down a bit when I looked in the local newspapers.
          Last edited by Cath RJ; 30-08-13, 17:24.
          Cath.

Comment

The London Gazette usually records each stage of a bankruptcy, which can spread over several years. It's only in the last 3 years or so that "quickie" bankruptcy proceedings have operated, with a much quicker discharge.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
            X