Tips for getting to grips with Windows 8, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for getting to grips with Windows 8, please

I've finally taken the plunge and bought a new computer to replace my old XP one.

I know I'm facing a steep learning curve in using Windows 8. Anyone got any simple "need to know" hints and tips, please?
    Anne

Have you tried googeling for Windows 8 hints and tips a lot of stuff comes up, I have 7 so cant help you.

Edna

Comment

Yes, thanks Edna. I found loads there. I'm just setting up the new computer and so far its not nearly as scary as I thought it might be! I've got my Chrome web browser and its imported all my favourites. Yay!!!
      Next I've got to find how to make all the print larger. The new screen is HUGE but the writing is titchy tiny!!!

Anne

Comment

Anne,
        from what I can remember from a while back when I was wondering about Windows 8, there were some good quick guides on youtube.
        Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks Christine, I'll have a look there. Its not too bad really. Once I found how to get to the desktop it all looked much more familiar.
          Anne

Comment

From September 2013 Which? magazine - Microsoft seem to have taken on board general user unhappiness with Windows 8, particularly the adjustment to using the Windows 8 start screen, as opposed to the Start menu from Windows 7.
            To quote from the Which? article:
            "Since the overwhelming critical response from customers, Microsoft has released an update called Windows 8.1, which will see the return of the start button, among other changes. Windows 8.1 Release Preview is available to download now from Microsoft's website; however, it is mainly for experienced users, so we recommend waiting until the full version comes out in September or October this year."
            Christine
            Last edited by Karamazov; 31-08-13, 16:19.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

To be honest, so far, it hasn't been a problem. You can switch from the "start page" with the big flashy icons to the normal desktop easily. You can remove all the icons you don't want from the start page and put the others in your own preferred order. I have loaded a lot of my Documents and they seem to behave exactly as expected. Fingers crossed it keeps on like this! I have quite a few programs to load onto it and some of them are quite old so it will be interesting to see if they work!
              So far so good
              Anne

Comment

Well, a few days down the line and I'm not having any problems at all. Just thought I'd add this to reassure anyone who will have to make the move soon to Windows 8. Don't be afraid ..... there's plenty of hints and tips found by Googling. I've got the Start screen looking how I want it (unpinned a lot of stuff I didn't want there). I've found where the apps go when you unpin them .... onto the All Apps screen, which (by any other name) is the list of programs you used to access from the Start menu. I've found out how to turn the computer off .... another thing which seems to fox people.
                So far NOTHING has been difficult, I'm very happy to say!!!
                Anne

Comment

Working...
                X