Prison.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prison.

My ancestor George Heathcote, was sent to prison ( trial date 7th April 1846). He was sentenced to three months for each offence. What does 'larceny by servant' mean. The other offence was just larceny. He lived in Dronfield Woodhouse, Derbyshire. How do I find out where he went for the trial, what he stole, and where did he serve his sentence. X x x stella x
    Stellanne x

Researching: Bennetts (Derbyshire), Parkinson (Durham, Yorkshire)

This will help.... Larceny is a crime involving the unlawful acquisition of the personal property of another person. It was an offence under the common law of England and became an offence in jurisdictions which incorporated the common law of England into their own law. It has been abolished in England and Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Larceny by servant just means he was a servant and stole from his employer

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Stellanne View Post
      What does 'larceny by servant' mean.
      There is an earlier thread about the same subject which might help.
      Elaine

Comment

Larceny by servant is stealing from an employer. There may be an account in newspapers of the time which is how I found one of my folk had committed the same offence aginst his blacksmith employer by pocketing the shilling fee for repairing a spade.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ This is where I found my chap, and Find my past has the same newspapers though I find searching harder ther.

Comment

I think the difference is that larceny by servant was considered a more serious crime as it took advantage of the trust relationship betwen master and servant. It would have been punished more severely because of that breach of trust.

OC

Comment

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ This is where I found my chap, and Find my past has the same newspapers though I find searching harder there.

How would I find out about which newspapers to look in.... I am guessing probably the Sheffield Star.... Or Derbyshire Times....

Would he have gone to a local prison x x x stella x x
            Stellanne x

Researching: Bennetts (Derbyshire), Parkinson (Durham, Yorkshire)

Comment

Working...
            X