WW1 soldiers Wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 soldiers Wills

I've been hearing on the radio today that WW1 soldiers wills are going online. I've had look but can't seem to find anything apart from going through other web pages e.g. http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-0...lls-go-online/
    Is there a web address that anyone knows ?

Dohh I've just realised that the link takes me to the Gov. website.
    Last edited by Jules; 29-08-13, 15:07. Reason: Because I've made a mistake.
    Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

There is a click link that takes you to here https://www.gov.uk/probate-search#before-you-start

To see the Will costs the normal £6 but it's a bit more convenient than writing to the Probate Office and getting a Will from them.
    Margaret

Comment

The link was added to our Reference library:

You may be interested in the experiences of other members who've already found wills:

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Looks like there are wills that never went to probate, there's one for my relative Broughton Abbott d1917 which isn't on Ancestry's National Probate Calendar.

(Broughton and his brother Albert's names are going to appear on Barnoldswick's war memorial when it is re-dedicated next month, congratulations go to all in Barlick for their hard work on this)

Comment

Just ordered my great grandfather's will.
          Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
            Looks like there are wills that never went to probate, there's one for my relative Broughton Abbott d1917 which isn't on Ancestry's National Probate Calendar.

(Broughton and his brother Albert's names are going to appear on Barnoldswick's war memorial when it is re-dedicated next month, congratulations go to all in Barlick for their hard work on this)
            I guess if there was nothing more than the gratuity or outstanding pay due to a person it would not need to go to Probate and the Will was simply used as a mechanism for the Military to know what to do with the money.
            Margaret

Comment

Hi all, I have tried for nearly two days to obtain a will, but whenever I try to pay it goes straight passed the payment page and on to "Payment Confirmation , Unknown Order /1/r/.........." God knows whats going on. cresser.

Comment

Cresser- glad its not just me.
                Angelina

Comment

Hi Angelina,

Lets start a gang !!!

Comment

Cresser- like the icons but what we really need is a computer ace to sort out the gov.uk site payment section asap. I want Uncles Harry's Will
                    Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by cresser View Post
                      Hi Angelina,

Lets start a gang !!!
                      Thought it was just me; can I join your gang?
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

of course -do you know any hackers who can sort out the gov.uk payment site preferably by tonight?
                        Angelina

Comment

Angelina, Hi again. Yes I agree. You would have thought that they would have been prepared for a massive amount of interest in this subject, and try and make sure they would be able to cope with this demand. I too, really want to see what my soldier, Percy Cresswell, might have had to say to his folks back home. This could be the closest I will ever get to him. Cheers, cresser.

Comment

Judith, Hi and your more than welcome to the gang!!, but before I waffle on, guess what ...... yep, I`ve just this minute been able to order my soldiers stuff. I almost fell of the chair when it past me on to payment. So all I can say is, keep trying. Good luck to you all. Cheers, cresser.

Comment

Originally posted by cresser View Post
                              Judith, Hi and your more than welcome to the gang!!, but before I waffle on, guess what ...... yep, I`ve just this minute been able to order my soldiers stuff. I almost fell of the chair when it past me on to payment. So all I can say is, keep trying. Good luck to you all. Cheers, cresser.
                              Brilliant. I just tried again and got through to the payment stage too
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Pleased others have managed to order eventually.

I received an email at midnight telling me my great grandfather's will is available download.

It's very basic and no more than a few lines but to me it was worth £6 as it is all written in his hand and signed. The only things we have of his short life (he was only 22 when he died) are two photos and his signature on his marriage cert.
                                Jay

Comment

No will for my Gt Grandad and unfortunately, his war records were amongst those destroyed in the fire
                                  :(

Researching:
                                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

A big thank you to Julie ( and others ) who tell us about new sites etc.

I have ordered my great uncle's will, and am waiting impatiently for it to arrive. I have been told that it may take upto 10 days before I am able to download it.

bcbrit
                                    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Just had a look and found 4 I would like to order. 2 for my Dads uncles and 2 of OH Great Uncles so think I will settle for my families first and OH when I have saved up.
                                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

How popular is this site going to be!!. For so many people, this could be the only chance for them to see something - anything - of a relative never met, and in their own handwriting too. It helps to make a connection with those lost soldiers. I dont really care how much or how little, there is of the man who`s info I have ordered, it will still mean a lot to me. I cannot wait to see whatever there is............. Cheers, cresser.
                                        Ps, I hope everyone has success and finds plenty of good material.

Comment

Working...
                                        X