First world war soldiers' undelivered letters home come to light at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First world war soldiers' undelivered letters home come to light at last

Letters judged unsuitable to give to families were stored with dead soldiers' wills and have now been made available online

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/29/first-world-war-soldiers-letters

Search for the will of a soldier who died while serving in the British armed forces between 1850 and 1986.

https://www.gov.uk/probate-search
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Very interesting link .. would be good to know if anyone finds anything relevant to their family.
    Elaine

Comment

Ooh that's interesting, thanks for posting the links. I've just searched and my Great Uncle is on there. Think I'm going to have to get it. I can't find anywhere that says what format the document comes in

When you go to your basket it says

You’ll be able to access the wills for 31 days.

You may have to wait up to 10 days for some documents.

Wills are provided for personal use only: you must get the relatives’ permission if you want to publish them in any way
      Jackie

Comment

Well I registered and logged in, put the will in my basket and tried to proceed to checkout but it then wouldn't work. I'm hoping its just teething problems or because too many people are trying at the moment but I've reported the error and will try again later
        Jackie

Comment

just found my great uncle's will up there, registered and went to checkout and it wont let me pay-kept saying payment '---' wonder if i will get it free!!!!.
          thank you so much for putting this link up - if i get it i will let you know.
          Angelina

Comment

Found two wills re great uncles - couldn't pay. Seems others are having the same problem. Hopefully it's first day problems. Can't wait to see what we get.
            Charity

Comment

I have found a few relatives, the most important one being my great grandfather who died in 1916.

I've registered and tried to buy/download his will but can't :( Hopefully the issues with it will be resolved soon.
              Jay

Comment

Seems to be working now, i've just ordered my great grandfather's will and it has an estimated delivery of 8th Sept 2013!
                Jay

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                  Seems to be working now, i've just ordered my great grandfather's will and it has an estimated delivery of 8th Sept 2013!
                  Not working for me. Will have to try again later.
                  Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Not working for me either :(
                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Still not working.

Comment

Just logged in and added another will to my basket, the payment screen seems to work again, well for me anyway.
                        Jay

Comment

You must have a magic touch Jay - still not working for me :(

Out of interest, how does it say you will get the will?
                          Jackie

Comment

Estimated 8 Sept Jackie.
                            Jay

Comment

Thanks Jay, does it say whether you'll get it in the post or will you have to download it?
                              Jackie

Comment

By the looks of it it will be to download.
                                Jay

Comment

Thanks Jay
                                  Jackie

Comment

Hi Night Owl,
                                    I have had exactly the same problem - got my man - unable to purchase the will/letters. I realise it is a new service, so hopefully, things will be OK soon. I cannot wait to see what `my` soldier had to say. Cheers, cresser.

Comment

Hi all, I`ve just tried for the umpteenth time this morning, still cannot purchase the item.:( cresser.

Comment

Couldn't manage yesterday. Today I got through to the payt stage and put all my card details inand clicked ok.......nothing. Do they email you a confirmation? I don't want to do it again in case I end up paying twice.

Charity

Comment

Working...
                                        X