A fresh pair of eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fresh pair of eyes

I am doing a family tree for a friend his father side I have done, but stuck with his mother'side

His grandmother was a Carmen Allen according to the 1911 census she was born in Argentina 1896 as was her mother and siblings, her father Robert Allen was born 1867 Toxteth park Liverpool.

There are 2 Robert Allen's born there in 1867 which one is he,

When did he go to Argentina can not find any shipping records for him or the family

Looked for some Argentina marriages but no luck.

Thank you Annabel

They were in Blackpool in 1901 - mother recorded as Patricia, but Rosa in 1911.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

there's no birth showing in the overseas births index on FMP, so i take it she was not registered as a british citizen. was she naturalised? was this indicated in 1911? such as 'british subject' written next to birthplace?

for reference:
      1911- 74 chatham rd, birkenhead, cheshire.

ALLEN, Robert- Head, Married. 44, b.1867, Toxteth Park Lpool. Boilermaker
      ALLEN, Rosa- Wife, Married 22 years. 39, b.1872, Tucuman Argentina
      ALLEN, Mary Ann- Daughter. Single. 20, b.1891, Salta Argentina. Housemaid Domestic
      ALLEN, Frank-Son. Single. 19, b.1892, Tucuman Argentina. Rivet Heater
      ALLEN, Julia-Daughter. Single. 17, b. 1894, Tucuman Argentina. Domestic Servant General
      ALLEN, Carmen-Daughter. Single. 15, b.1896, Salta Argentina. Apprentice Dress Maker

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        there's no birth showing in the overseas births index on FMP, so i take it she was not registered as a british citizen. was she naturalised? was this indicated in 1911? such as 'british subject' written next to birthplace?

for reference:
        1911- 74 chatham rd, birkenhead, cheshire.

ALLEN, Robert- Head, Married. 44, b.1867, Toxteth Park Lpool. Boilermaker
        ALLEN, Rosa- Wife, Married 22 years. 39, b.1872, Tucuman Argentina
        ALLEN, Mary Ann- Daughter. Single. 20, b.1891, Salta Argentina. Housemaid Domestic
        ALLEN, Frank-Son. Single. 19, b.1892, Tucuman Argentina. Rivet Heater
        ALLEN, Julia-Daughter. Single. 17, b. 1894, Tucuman Argentina. Domestic Servant General
        ALLEN, Carmen-Daughter. Single. 15, b.1896, Salta Argentina. Apprentice Dress Maker
        I rather think she'd become British simply by marrying a British subject - just as a British-born woman would have ceased to be British if she had married someone who was not a British subject.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-08-13, 10:53.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

they're all listed as 'british by parentage' in 1911, so still no help in finding records. though i suppose now we know where she is born, figuring out what records exist could help.

Comment

there are some birth records for salta and tucuman on familysearch, but not seeing any of these kids.

Comment

If you have a look on Lancashire OPC, there's a baptism for Robert ALLEN on 25 Nov 1866, at St John the Baptist, Toxteth. He's the child of of John ALLEN, a joiner, & Anne, of Drysdale Street.

That might help to rule one in or out at some point when other info becomes available.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

he's in the argentina census:

"Argentina, National Census, 1895"
                Name: Roberto Allen
                Event Place: Partido Lomas de Zamora, Buenos Aires, Argentina
                Age (Formatted in Original Language): 19 años
                Birth Year (Estimated): 1876
                Birth Province:
                Birth Nation: Inglaterra
                Gender (Original Language): Varón
                Marital Status (Original Language): Soltero
                GS Film number: 732755
                Digital Folder Number: 004161661

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  he's in the argentina census:

"Argentina, National Census, 1895"
                  Name: Roberto Allen
                  Event Place: Partido Lomas de Zamora, Buenos Aires, Argentina
                  Age (Formatted in Original Language): 19 años
                  Birth Year (Estimated): 1876
                  Birth Province:
                  Birth Nation: Inglaterra
                  Gender (Original Language): Varón
                  Marital Status (Original Language): Soltero
                  GS Film number: 732755
                  Digital Folder Number: 004161661
                  Is there an image you can check for that census? The DoB would fit better if he were "29" rather than "19".

Christine

Comment

anyone speak spanish? found maria, francisco and julia together, with other kids:

no parents though

Comment

There are images available for the 1895 census on family search.

I couldn't find a suitable entry for wife (either forename ) & children grouped together. However, I don't know how the people enumerated were recorded - i.e in households/family groups as in the UK & USA, or in some other way.

Jay

ETA - well done, Kyle. Wonder if the parents were away, or married women were recorded under maiden names?
                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-08-13, 11:12.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

robert, with a 'florencia' on the page:

defo 19, but only one born england

Comment

Do you think Florencia could have been Patricia in 1901?

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Wonder if the job description for Robert is a shortened version of "engineer mechanical" ???

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                              Wonder if the job description for Robert is a shortened version of "engineer mechanical" ???

Jay
                              I think that's what I would presume. "Ingenieur" is the French, so I reckon (if I'd bothered to get out our Spanish dictionary), that it would be something very similar in Spanish.

And he could read and write, according to column "I".

Christine

Comment

i don't know what her name is! maybe the poster has information about her death? what name she was using then?

Comment

images are viewable for salta and tucuman......if you were really intrigued, you could go through them, and hope to find some baptisms?

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, its getting late here so will study them tomorrow.

Carmen Allen married Richard Bennetts Thomas
                                    just received the birth certificate of their daughter Carmen Lily Thomas born Cornwall, 1917

Comment

I would think about looking at UK railway records - a British engineer in Argentina at that time would almost certainly be involved in the railway business.
                                      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                                      X