Help reading entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading entry

Finally tracked down great-great-great uncle Thomas Jackson Hiles who joined the army. According to this page http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/32...l=ReturnRecord he died on 6 feb 1855, but can anyone work out where? On another entry it says he died in Scutari, so I assume during the Crimean War, but I can't work this entry out. To me it looks like Kululie?

His entry is the 14th one down.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

You are right with the spelling. According to a newspaper report it was a British Hospital 2 miles up the Bosphorus from Scutari on the Asiatic side.
    There are a few contemporary reports on the conditions in the hospital on Google Books.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

After googling Linda I discovered that it's Kululie. About 4 miles from Scutari.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oops too late as usual
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

article about it here

Comment

Thanks everyone - I note in Trove it's also spelled Kulalie. Wonder if there are any more army records for him - can't see any on Ancestry. Presumably he was in Canada for some time though.
            Linda

Comment

have you looked for his service records on findmypast?

Comment

Yes, but couldn't see anything for him at all, not sure if I was doing it correctly!
                Linda

Comment

couldn't see anything. you'd think since the records cover 1760-1915, that his service records would be included.

Comment

Thanks for looking Kyle - glad I'm not the only one who couldn't find anything.

However I did find a reference to his father Thomas Hiles (my 3x great grandfather) who was a clock and watch maker with his brother in Stroud in the 1820's. Would love to be able to afford this.

http://www.village-clocks.co.uk/prod.../?k=:::5120541
                    Linda

Comment

Working...
                    X