Wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills

Can anyone please advise me as to how I can find an index for wills from the Latter Day Saints please?

Thank you.
    Ewen

If from their main page you select "Search", then "Restrict records by type" and tick the "probate" box you can search for your names but when I did this for names in my tree I only got results for Ireland and USA so not sure if they have any England and Wales probate records.
    Last edited by JudithM; 25-08-13, 09:41. Reason: trying to make meaning clearer!
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith, there didn't appear to be any records for the person I was looking for.

Comment

Does the date fall outside the range of the National Probate Calendar on Ancestry (1858 to 1966)?
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The death was in 1909, I am trying to establish a film number so as I can order it from the LDS.

Ewen

Comment

If this will is from England and Wales I don't think LDS will have it. If you'd like to let us know a name perhaps someone can find it on the National Probate Calendar. The calendar would give some details such as address, amount of estate and executor. For the full details you would need to order the will from a probate office.

Comment

Hi Ewan,

https://familysearch.org/search/coll...INGDOM_IRELAND Here is a list of records of what Familysearch have for United Kingdom, there are few probate records some for Kent and browsable images for Wales.

Edna

Comment

They also seem to have copies of wills 1858-1925 , but unless they can be viewed for free i.e. not having to pay the cost of borrowing the film, it's probably a lot easier to check the Calendar on Ancestry then order the will.

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                  They also seem to have copies of wills 1858-1925 , but unless they can be viewed for free i.e. not having to pay the cost of borrowing the film, it's probably a lot easier to check the Calendar on Ancestry then order the will.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...obate_Registry
                  Well found annswabey, I get lost on the LDS site and hadn't spotted this. I agree about the cost though. If paying to borrow the film ordering a paper copy from the registry would be cheaper I think.

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...obate_Registry
                    I wonder if it's possible to use their photoduplication service to request a copy?
                    Elaine

Comment

I wonder whether they (LDS) have the actual wills. Perhaps they have just indexed from a list.

They've recently been doing some Irish wills and the information was just on index cards.
                      Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                        I wonder whether they (LDS) have the actual wills. Perhaps they have just indexed from a list.

They've recently been doing some Irish wills and the information was just on index cards.
                        I can't see that LDS would have the Wills as the Probate Office sell them and they are not digitised. I think it can only be the index which I know was sold on microfilm as my local FHS had a copy.

Margaret
                        Last edited by margaretmarch; 26-08-13, 10:35.

Comment

The LDS site https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...obate_Registry does say that they have filmed wills - "The Principal Registry in London deals with personal applications, and the Leeds District Registry will supply copies of wills and administrations by post. See HM Courts and Tribunals Service Guide to obtaining copies of probate records for full details. The Family History Library has filmed copies of the wills for 1858-1925."

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                            The LDS site https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...obate_Registry does say that they have filmed wills - "The Principal Registry in London deals with personal applications, and the Leeds District Registry will supply copies of wills and administrations by post. See HM Courts and Tribunals Service Guide to obtaining copies of probate records for full details. The Family History Library has filmed copies of the wills for 1858-1925."
                            Thanks for that Judith - I am surprised but there you go!
                            Margaret

Comment

Sorry Ewen we've got away from your immediate problem. If you have the name and know for sure when the will was proved it looks like these are the links to find the film number :
                              "The records are listed in the Family History Library Catalog under one of the following titles:

Comment

Hello everyone, thank you for all you replies and comments, it all makes interesting reading so no apologies needed.

I have seen the will indexed, in links from Judith's reply above I was just wondering if the will itself would be able to be seen from the films from the LDS. If this fails I will consider ordering the will itself.

Thanks again.
                                Ewen

Comment

The price of a Will post 1858 is £6 so compare that with what you might have to pay to see the film which may or may not have the Will included.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                    I wonder if it's possible to use their photoduplication service to request a copy?
                                    Yes, familysearch has the actual wills - I've pulled wills from their films. As mentioned, you will also pay for the film to come to your nearest Family History Centre. Elaine mentions the duplication service - it's free, if you have the time to wait - and if they will copy wills for you (dunno about that one).

sarah

Just for clarity: not the original, signed will, but rather the clerk's transcription of it
                                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-08-13, 23:14.

Comment

Working...
                                    X