rose bank green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rose bank green

i have army service papers that give father's address as 'rose bank green'. no county, town or city. this is 1877. the father's details have been crossed out and the wife's added, 1879 i would expect, as that's the year marriage occured.

can anyone help with sorting out what rose bank green was? i guess it was the name of a house but i don't know where?

Perhaps we can narrow down the area by searching around the place where the man enlisted. My guess would be that they didn't name the town/county because this place was known to those recording the information.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The Service papers may show where the enlistment took place Kyle. Drop a name and I'll see if I can help.

Comment

woolwich, kent was the place of enlistment.

Comment

Perhaps a Street Map of London in those times might help?

Comment

There's a Rosebank Walk in Woolwich - it's listed on GenDocs Victorian Streets: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/g.../lonstr_r.html . It still exists today (comes up on Bing maps, but not Google maps for some reason).

Comment

On Ancestry you can search the 1881 census for house names, etc., if they've been indexed. Type rosebank green or rose bank green in the Keyword(s) box. It will give you variations of these words - not too many. Unfortunately you cannot carry out a phrase search. Does the father's name appear on any of these? Or tell us it so I can try and have a look myself.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

soldier's name was william leonard langdon shaw, he is in stirling in 1881. son of william shaw and elizabeth buckenham. the family is in cardigan wales in 1871. mother vanishes, father is in bath in 1881. so this address is a new one for me.

a 'green' in the old days, as in 'village green' was a public garden/space/park type of thing in the centre of town wasn't it? could rose bank green have referred to such a place? either that or i think it a property that the father rented.

Comment

Just checked the image - looks like Rose Bank Essex, rather than Rose Bank Green !
                  Elaine

Comment

Not sure which site this image is on. I see he was born in Orsett registration district in Essex, and his birthplace has been wrongly recorded in the 1861 census as Lainslott Hills, Essex. I think this should be Langdon Hills which is in the Orsett registration district. May or may not be helpful.

Edit to add: I see the census enumerator clearly had problems with place names for the family in the 1871 and 1881 census. Thundersley and Billericay in Essex are the correct spellings if you hadn't worked them out already.
                    Last edited by keldon; 25-08-13, 15:32.
                    Phil
                    historyhouse.co.uk
                    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thanks phil, it tool much effort and help from this forum to sort out the family originally. there are unanswered questions about each and every one of them.......not normally the case in lines i research.

essex not green elaine? i'll take a closer look after school.

Comment

Working...
                      X