X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada 1921: finding a particular Toronto census district

I have a likely address for Leonard BENNETT, as a boarder, in 1921:
    199 Woburn av, Toronto

Since there's no easy name-index yet, can anyone suggest which census District I would need to browse to find that address? I've had a bit of a look on modern maps, without managing to narrow down the likely Piece(s). It looks as if it's probably in one of the York Districts: south of the Ontario 401 Express / Macdonald-Cartier Freeway and of York Mills Rd; pretty much due north of the Toronto City Centre... quite close to the Toronto Cricket Club.

I did think that I'd seen a site which gave you an idea which pieces to look for... but I may be getting confused with info about the 1940 USA census.

Thanks for any help!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Looking on Street-view on the road currently called Woburn Av - there's no obvious room for any building between house number 195 and house number 201!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Not sure if this site is of any help Christine - shows electoral districts from 1895.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Not sure if this site is of any help Christine - shows electoral districts from 1895.
        http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e...01-1100-e.html
        Thank you, Elaine.

That certainly looks as if it might give some indication... perhaps!

Christine

Comment

Don't get too excited Christine. I've tried to see if I can find anything ... unsuccessfully!
          Elaine

Comment

There arre some queries on the Ancestry message boards where someone is able to give the relevant district ... somehow!!
            Might be worth a post on there!

Also found this site ..
            Elaine

Comment

Toronto City Directory for 1921 says Woburn Avenue is in Ward 3 ... if that helps at all!
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Toronto City Directory for 1921 says Woburn Avenue is in Ward 3 ... if that helps at all!
                http://archive.org/stream/torontodir...e/492/mode/1up
                Yes - I had eventually realised that that might be a way forward. But thank you for mentioning it: definitely a case where it's better to have info you need twice than not at all!

I'm just trawling through the Ward 3 images: sadly they don't mention specific street names in the covering descriptions, even tho' street names are given on the documents. :(

Christine

Comment

I've tried to locate Woburn Av amongst the records, but the streets I've found so far seem to be rather a long way away from my target!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    I've tried to locate Woburn Av amongst the records, but the streets I've found so far seem to be rather a long way away from my target!

Christine
                    I looked at a few and thought the same!
                    Elaine

Comment

Thank you for trying for me, Elaine.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X