Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 stripes on a uniform?

George Robert Cheal son William Henry (2).jpg

Ive just been sent this photo of my GGF George Robert Cheal(top left) with three of his sons. (Its really exciting as Ive never seen him before )

The only other identified is the chap bottom right - my dads uncle Bill (oh and he does look like dad). Im guessing but Id have thought the other two must be George's sons - so now to find them. He had 16 kids but fortunately mostly girls and one chap who had polio so who wouldnt have been in the 1WW.

I have been looking for the other sons in ancestry records. One who I thought likeliest was George who is shown as a sapper and an engineer/fitter. But those 4 stripes - cant find anything on google - anyone please?

The other chap, I havent had a look for yet but he does have HMS Pembroke on his hat band, so hopefully I can find him.

Sposed to be doing G's work so Im a bit guilty.

Thanks anyone.
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 22-08-13, 12:59.

you forgot to attach the photo......

Comment

No, not forgot, it just wouldnt upload :( Ive finally managed to save it and upload (Mind you, I am getting daft and forgetful) I dont know how to get it bigger though?
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 22-08-13, 13:07.

Comment

Haven't found it anywhere else but have a look here.

http://householdcavalry.info/hcranks.html

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Can you see if there is a crown as well as the stripes? My dad was in the Middlesex Yeomanry which were unique in that all their sergeant had a crown with the three stripes on their sleeve so to differentiate their staff sergeants had four stripes and a crown.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

This may be the answer (as long as the image has not been flipped).
            "Good Conduct Strips were awarded to Privates and Lance Corporals, and were worn on the left lower sleeve. "

See image on
            Last edited by keldon; 22-08-13, 13:41.
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Ah, I've just managed to enlarge the photo and the stripes aren't where sergeants stripes would be are they so Phil has probably cracked it.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

They are Good Conduct chevrons indicating 18 years service ... If you look closely the stripes are the wrong way up - the point is up the arm, towards the elbow rather than down (which a standard rank "stripe" would be"). It appears his son has 2 chevrons which would indicate 6 years service.

Rank chevrons are worn on the upper (both) arms...point facing down the arm.

Someone has posted an explanation here:

...seems Keldon beat me to it !
                Last edited by AntonyM; 22-08-13, 13:51.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

found this too.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9660

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Oh brilliant, that may help me find out just which son he is.

So, reading up on the info you kindly found people, he can be just a private or lance corporal. That should help.

Arent you all wonderful xxx
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 22-08-13, 13:57.

Comment

Working...
                    X