Married in Parish Church after Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married in Parish Church after Certificate

What circumstances would mean that a couple married in a Parish church after certificate?
    The groom was a widower, his bride a spinster.
    This was May1883 in Yorkshire.

I have a printout of the page in the parish register and note that the previous entry also shows a marriage after certificate. This was between a widow and a widower and was in August 1882.

Both entries are signed by the same Vicar, so presumably he performed the services.

Have asked on another site, but no clear answer. Please can you help?

Gwyn

Itusually means that either:

The bride or groom did not have the right to marry in the parish chburch (because they came from somewhere else)

OR

They did have the right (by certificate) and the vicar who married them wasn't the normal incumbent of that church, so not authorised to perform marriages at that particular church.

An example of marriage by certificate would be where Miss Bloggs wishes to marry Mr Smith at St Doodah and wants her uncle, a Vicar, but not the vicar of St Doodah, to perform the ceremony.

OC

Comment

Thank you for that OC.
      I will have to investigate their addresses further, although both were from Whitby, but perhaps not 'of that parish' then.

I will see what I can find out about the vicar too.

The big gap in time between marriages made me wonder if there were unusual circumstances for that particular church, which might have some bearing on the situation.

Gwyn

Comment

Marriage by Superintendant Registrar's certificate possibly means there wasn't time for the usual 3 weeks to read banns before the wedding or that the couple didn't want their names read out in church during the reading of banns. Here's a link to the Church of England page about this http://www.yourchurchwedding.org/you...rtificate.aspx
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Gwyn

Sorry, I didn't realise you meant superintendant's certificate, I thought it just said "after certificate". If it just says "after certificate" then I think that means that banns were called somewhere other than the parish church in which they married. They would have to present the vicar with a certificate to prove that Banns had been called.

OC

Comment

OC
            Yes you were correct... It does say after Certificate.
            The bride was very young, ..17 compared with the groom's declared age of 32, although I know he was in fact 5 years older than that!

Judith Thank you for your reply.
            I really thought I'd answered before now, .... Sorry.

Gwyn

Comment

I've never come across a marriage after certificate other than the one issued by the superintendant registrar. Surely if it meant the cert issued by a vicar to show banns had been called it would still be a marriage after banns, and at that time that would require at least one of the couple to be of that parish. If neither lived in the parish they would have needed a marriage licence.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

How do you get to St. Doodah's.
                I'm half way through transcribing a Parish Register in Liverpool for the years 1861/2 and so far I have entered 14 marriages by Certificate so they're not uncommon.

Comment

Judith

the C of E website lists "by Superintendant Registrar's certificate" and "after certificate" as two entirely different things.

A Superintendant's certificate is a civil thing and the C of E does not have to honour it (but it always does). In that case, banns are displayed in the Register Office.

"After certificate" is an ecclesiastical thing and I think it means the certificate is proof that banns were called elsewhere (a different CHURCH) because they could not be called in the church where the marriage was to take place.

OC
                  Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 20-08-13, 13:30. Reason: Correction

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    "After certificate" is an ecclesiastical thing and I think it means the certificate is proof that banns were called elsewhere (a different CHURCH) because they could not be called in the church where the marriage was to take place.
                    Perhaps the church where the marriage was to take place was only open occasionally, so the banns would need to be read (or certificate issued) from a church which held regular services.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

Yes, possibly, but it does seem a bit odd that this concerned the PARISH church - perhaps it was undergoing repairs or something because otherwise you would expect the parish church to have a service every Sunday.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X