Missing family in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing family in Canada

Please could I have help tracing Julius Spencer Wills and his family. Julius married Edith Harriet King in 1907 in Tonbridge, Kent. They had 2 children, Jack 1908 who died as an infant and Margaret May 1909.

Julius, Edith and Margaret left for Quebec, Canada on 23/5/1911.

That’s the easy bit.

On 17/4/1912 Mrs Edith Wills and Miss Margaret Wills travel from Bristol to Halifax NS. It says Margaret has not been to Canada before and Edith has lived in Canada for 6 months in 1911 and intends to live in Winnipeg permanently.

I also have a pursers sheet from 1916, which has Edith H Wills and Margaret Wills on the list. I don’t have the passenger list so don’t know if this is an inward or outward journey. It states Edith has lived in Winnipeg for 5 years. It has no age for Edith and Margaret is 5, she should be 9 by now.

I have not been able to find the family on the Manitoba 1916 census. So any help with this family would be really appreciated. I am pretty sure they stayed in Canada as I remember my Uncle writing to relatives there, but of course didn’t think to ask then who they were and now it is too late.

The 1921 Canadian census is available via ancestry http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8991 but has yet to be indexed, so you will have to browse through the pages ...for Winnipeg alone, that is quite a task.... do you have any address at all they may have been at ?
    Last edited by AntonyM; 19-08-13, 11:23.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Sadly I don't have Ancestry anymore. The only other place name I have is on the pursers sheet for the 1911 trip, it has Port La Prairie which is west of Winnipeg.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
        Sadly I don't have Ancestry anymore. The only other place name I have is on the pursers sheet for the 1911 trip, it has Port La Prairie which is west of Winnipeg.
        It's actually on Ancestry.ca - but you can log in for free access to the images for a while, at least.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You don't need a sub to see these images - go to ancestry.com (you don't need to sign in) and go to 1921 Census of Canada: Province, district, then look at the sub-districts

Comment

Great thank you Christine and Bertie - off to have a look

Comment

Sorry Antony didn't say thank you........I may be some time.........

Comment

Hi Frazzled,

Canada Voters Lists 1935 - 1980 ( ancestry.ca)

Apt 26 - 211 Tweedsmuir Ave, York, Ontario
                Julius Wills - clerk
                Edith Wills

Apt 8A, 315 Tweedsmuir Ave, York
                Julius Wills, clerk
                No mention of Edith

424 Glengarry Ave, York

Julius Wikelis, janitor
                Mrs Annie

Apt 7, Heath Street, York

Jullus Wills - retired
                Edith

1972 309 Vercheres, La Prarie, Quebec

Julius Wills, retired

1974 309 Riue Vercheres, La Prarie, Quebec

Juluis Wills - retired

bcbrit
                Last edited by bcbrit; 20-08-13, 02:05.
                George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thank you bcbrit, I am so grateful, I have been searching for Julius for a long time. Off to look at a map!

I know Candadian privacy laws are strict but do you think their daughter's marriage would be online? Her name is Margaret May Wills born 1909, I'm hoping to find living relatives in Canada.

Many thanks again

Comment

Hi Frazzled,

I searched records and trees on ancestry for Margaret, Edith and Julius, and came up with nothing beyond what you have.

As you say, privacy laws here are pretty strict, so it would be hard to find a marriage for Margaret.

The only thing I can think of was to use google.ca and see if anything came up for Julius' death. According to familysearch, google does have newspapers for Quebec. I did wonder if Julius or Edith had an obit, which might name descendants.

Other than that, I am stumped !

bcbrit
                    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I had a rather similar situation with "lost" relatives in New Zealand, with much the same gap since they had last been heard of. Certainly the parents would have died and I was hoping to contact any descendants. I wrote a letter to the local newspaper covering the area of their last known address asking for any information which resulted in a former neighbour suggesting I look in another location. After a second letter, contact was made. If all else fails, perhaps you could give this a try.

Comment

Hi bcbrit

Thank you for your suggestions, I have been trying to access Quebec newspapers to find anything on the family but so far no luck. I noticed from the info you gave me on your earlier post that Julius was still alive in 1974 so he would have reached the grand old age of 93. Hopefully I will find something in the papers.

Comment

Thank you brentor boy, think this is a good plan. I may be wrong but maybe Julius and Edith moved from York, Ontario to Quebec to be near family as it seems a long way to move when you are in your eighties.

Comment

Have found the incoming record

UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
                            Name: Edith Wills
                            Birth Date: abt 1887
                            Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
                            Arrival Date: 12 Jun 1916
                            Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
                            Ship Name: Orduna
                            Shipping Line: Cunard Steamship Company Ltd
                            Official Number: 135539

they are going to 42 Kingsley Road, Kilburn, London
                            Margaret 4

This is the Canadian list you mention going to Winnipeg

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
                            Name: Edith H Wills
                            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1916
                            Date of Arrival: 21 May 1917
                            Vessel: Olympic
                            Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia
                            Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
                            Roll: T-4756
                            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you for that Elaine. Does it mention Margaret on the return journey? Edith and Margaret seem to have gone back and forth a few times, always without Julius.

Is there any way of finding out who lived at Kingsley Road? I have tried doing a search but can only come up with much later dates.

Edit - Just thought what a strange time to be travelling during the war
                              Last edited by Frazzled; 22-08-13, 10:20.

Comment

This is who was living there in 1911 census

Close
                                1911 Census transcription details for: 42 Kingsley Road Kilburn

National Archive Reference: RG14PN6996 RG78PN346A RD129 SD1 ED16 SN105

Reg. District:
                                Willesden

Sub District:
                                Willesden

Parish:
                                Willesden

Enum. District:

Address:
                                42 Kingsley Road Kilburn

County:
                                Middlesex

Name

Relation

Condition/
                                Yrs married

Sex

Birth Year

Occupation

Where Born

BALFOUR, Alexander Head Married
                                12 years M 60 1851 Jobbing Builder And Decorator Carpenter And Joiner Sanitary Engineer Fifeshire Collessie
                                BALFOUR, Elisabeth F Wife Married
                                12 years F 54 1857 Fifeshire Dunfermline
                                DALL, Jessie Thomson Sister-In-Law Single F 51 1860 Sanitary Engineer Fifeshire Burntisland
                                BALFOUR, Alexander Adopted Son M 4 1907 Brighton Sussex
                                Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 22-08-13, 10:24.

Comment

Thank you Linda, will have a look to see if there is a connection with Edith's family.

Comment

Margaret is 4, sorry wasn't so obvious under the address
                                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Just want to say thank you to Karamazov and members of a Canadian forum for their help.

A death was found for Edith Harriet Wills on Find a Grave at Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal, Quebec. I contacted them and it is my Edith, she died 22/9/1972 and was cremated in their crematorium on 26/9/1972.

As we now had a date Karamazov found an obituary in the Montreal Gazette which stated that Edith was the beloved wife of Julius Spencer Wills and dear mother of Margaret (Mrs George C Wallace). She was interred in Montreal Memorial Park.

A Canadian forum member has told me that the memorial park is now called Urgel Bougie Memorial Gardens so I shall contact them to see if they have anymore information. Unfortunately I still can’t find a death for Julius but maybe they can help me.

So now I know Margaret May Wills married George C Wallace but don’t know if they married in Ontario or Quebec or somewhere else. If anyone has George in their tree or can help I would be most grateful as I haven’t had much luck finding anything on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
                                        Just want to say thank you to Karamazov and members of a Canadian forum for their help.

A death was found for Edith Harriet Wills on Find a Grave at Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal, Quebec. I contacted them and it is my Edith, she died 22/9/1972 and was cremated in their crematorium on 26/9/1972.

As we now had a date Karamazov found an obituary in the Montreal Gazette which stated that Edith was the beloved wife of Julius Spencer Wills and dear mother of Margaret (Mrs George C Wallace). She was interred in Montreal Memorial Park.

A Canadian forum member has told me that the memorial park is now called Urgel Bougie Memorial Gardens so I shall contact them to see if they have anymore information. Unfortunately I still can’t find a death for Julius but maybe they can help me.

So now I know Margaret May Wills married George C Wallace but don’t know if they married in Ontario or Quebec or somewhere else. If anyone has George in their tree or can help I would be most grateful as I haven’t had much luck finding anything on him.
                                        What year of birth do you have for Margaret so that we can have a clue as to George C Wallace's year of birth. Have you checked ancestry for a tree with George in it?

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X