What was Richard Knagg's crime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Richard Knagg's crime?

Could someone with better vision than I please have a look at the England and Wales Criminal records for Richard Knagg - born abt 1816 in Westmorland. He was transported for a crime which I can't make out. Also, where were people transported to in those days?

Many thanks.

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

seems he stole two cows ? from a Robert Knagg of Orton.
    I tried to pm you but it says you arent accepting messages?
    Last edited by Guest; 18-08-13, 22:57.

Comment

Probably sent to Australia, often Tasmania.
      Anne

Comment

Oops, Val - I didn't realise my settings were awol - will adjust now - my apologies. Thank you for the interpretation of a very faint inscription!

Thanks too Anne - I thought it would be probably Australia or thereabouts.

Stole two cows eh? His father and a brother were called 'Robert'. What a sentence!

Gwyn

Comment

seems he was a wrong un ? was going to send you the paper cutting but need your email
          Seems his Grandfather was the prosecuter ?
          Last edited by Guest; 18-08-13, 23:20.

Comment

He was lucky to be transported - the sentence for stealing cows would have been death usually.

In fact, he may not actually have been transported (unless you know he was). Often criminals were put on a ship in dock to await transportation but they were released after a time. Transportation had virtually ended by the late 1830s.

OC

Comment

There are no Knaggs on the Australian convict database. For info: The Richard Naggs that Felix found was sentenced to 7 years at Middlesex. Westminster Quarter Session.
              Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I must be looking at a different record from the one Val found. Richard Knagg, aged 25 was sentenced to 10 years transportation at Westmorland County Assizes on 22 October 1841 for curtilage breaking. As a curtilage is the land immediately surrounding a house I assume this means he was trespassing/breaking into outhouses maybe.

Update:
                Ah, now I've found the reference to stealing 2 cows (guess he must have done that while he was trespassing on the curtilege). This record was from the prison hulk register and in the last column it says he died 28th September 1842 so he never left the hulk.
                Last edited by JudithM; 19-08-13, 07:33. Reason: more info
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

He stole them from his grandfather.

There's a detailed newspaper report on the British Newspaper Archive (also available through Findmypast).
                  This should link to the article.

Last edited by keldon; 19-08-13, 08:58.
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk
                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                    He stole them from his grandfather.

There's a detailed newspaper report on the British Newspaper Archive (also available through Findmypast).
                    This should link to the article.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.c...land%2bgazette
                    Also on FMP if you have a sub for that.

Margaret

Comment

Well, well, he was a wrong 'un wasn't he?

Thanks so much to everyone who's helped.

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
                      X