Lost marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost marriage?

I have a reference to a marriage of John Bedford MITCHELL in 1827, London/Middlesex.

I can't find it on familysearch or ancestry - would someone check FMP? Know of any indexes that would not be included in those three?

Thanks
    Sarah

It's on Ancestry, Sarah - in the LMA London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921 database

John Bedford Mitchell / Frances Baxter
    Marriage date - 2 Aug 1827
    Parish: Newington St Mary
    Borough: Southwark
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Elaine -
      It's bizarre - I can search on Ancestry.com, and it doesn't show. I go to your link - that works. I go to Ancestry.co.uk - that works!
      Sarah

Comment

It's showing up for me on Ancestry.com
        Search all Records - put in John Bedford Mitchell
        Event = marriage
        Year = 1827
        Collection = UK & Irish

... search.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Collection = UK & Irish

... search.
          There's the reason: I left it open to all collections, and entered the place as London, England - that usually works for me.

How far is "Newington St Mary"?

Comment

Newington is just south of the river Thames and is part of London nowadays but at the time of the marriage London referred only to the square mile of the City of London and Newington was in Surrey
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              Newington is just south of the river Thames and is part of London nowadays but at the time of the marriage London referred only to the square mile of the City of London and Newington was in Surrey
              On that subject, when were all the counties (or parts of them) such as Surrey and Middlesex incorporated into London as we know it today? ie Hackney was in Middlesex and then, at some stage, became part of London.
              Brian
              Avatar: My wife and I with the family "cat".

Comment

The County of London came into being in 1889, carried on until 1965 when Greater London replaced it.
                Last edited by JudithM; 19-08-13, 12:54.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Ancestry offers to predefined geographic locations involving "London" -
                  London, London, England
                  and
                  London, England

I've almost always used "London, England" generically to refer to the area in and around the square mile, and haven't had problems locating records - or at least, none that I realized!

Comment

the 'surrey' births deaths and mariages does not include southwark or newington, and the LMA collection on ancestry does not fully cover these areas either.

Comment

Working...
                    X