Quick Question about Burial Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question about Burial Records

Received my Gt Gt Grandmother's birth certificate this morning.

Sarah Hopley born 3 June 1849 @ Great Boughton, Chester, time on birth cert 12 noon.

So I assume that she was a twin. There are no other Hopley births on the same page for the same district of that qtr so I'm guessing it was a stillbirth.

Assuming I'm correct (and its not just an over-enthusiastic Registrar!), and I know there's no Stillbirth Register, would there be a BURIAL record for a stillborn child? Obviously the child would need to be buried, but having never encountered a stillbirth to date, I've no experience as to whether the burial would have been noted in the Parish Registers?

Thanks in advance ;D

Lou

Jemima

If the other twin was stillborn, then legally speaking it wasn't a twin birth and the time should not have been recorded but maybe some confusion arose at the time of registration. Some registrars were under the impression they had to record the time for ALL births, but I think that confusion was cleared up before 1849.

There is no official register of Stillbirths until the 1920s (?).

I have seen some still birth burials recorded in parish registers. I think it depended a lot on the Vicar.

OC

Comment

There's a death for a Samuel Hopley aged 0 in 1849, same registration district as Sarah. I cannot see a corresponding birth for him. (Cheshirebmd)

OC

Comment

Not sure about Districts, but Family Search has records in Thornton-le-Moors, Cheshire for a Samuel HOPLEY:
        bap 8 April 1849
        bur 13 April 1849

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sarah's baptism appears to be on FamilySearch, too... 1 July 1849 Holy Trinity, Chester
          d/o George HOPLEY & Mary

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sarah was born 3 June 1849 and baptised 1 July 1849 so I doubt the Samuel Hopley born in April could be connected to Sarah.

Maybe it was just as over-diligent Registrar but what made me curious is that after her marriage (when Sarah became a JONES), she had 2 sets of twins, including my Gt Grandfather, Benjamin Parry Jones, so it made me wonder if twins did indeed run in the family.

I'll hopefully have the opportunity to look at the Parish Registers at some point.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Lou
            xx

Comment

if you could get your hands on the burial registers for that parish you take a look. FMP has a lot of cheshire records, but not burials in great boughton in 1849.

there are some predisposing factors for having twins:

1) west african (especially yoruba) descent. (obviously not relevant to your case)
              2) mothers between 30-40 years old
              3) greater than average height and weight
              4) several previous pregnancies
              5) women with family history of fraternal twins are more likely to hyper ovulate
              6) diets high in dairy

Comment

But identical twins occur randomly as a "fault" when the cells divide. This tendency MAY run in families but it is not a genetic occurence.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X