Looking for burial details.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for burial details.........

My maternal grandmother, Annie Bourn, had three children. Annie (my mother) (1911- 1994), Elizabeth (1912-1913) and Robert (1914-1914).

My maternal grandfather is buried in Longridge (Lancashire) with his first wife and others of his immediate family. I have been to St Lawrence's churchyard and have a photo of the family grave.

But - I have no idea where Annie and the two other children may be buried - presumably together(?) She was born in Barrow in Furness, Lancashire as 'Hannah Woodend Knagg'. She married Robert Bourn in Urswick Parish Church in April 1911.

So, I have possibilities for places of burial, but how on earth do I go any further?

Having decided to return to family history after quite a lengthy 'sabbatical, I've hit the proverbial brick wall :(!

Any thoughts would be gratefully received..........

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Do you know where and when she and the children died?

You could contact the cemeteries in the area where the death occurred.

There is also a site www.deceasedonline.co.uk where they have many areas cemeteries records digitised.

Margaret

Comment

Sorry Margaret - forgot to add more detail -

Annie died 19 March 1916 at Nook Fold Farm, Dilworth, Longridge, Lancs, as did the two children. I couldn't see any evidence in St Lawrence's churchyard when we went there, but I may have missed it.

I'll have a look at the link you've kindly given me, thank you.

Gwyn

Comment

Also some local councils have digitised their municipal cemeteries so you could check their website.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
          Sorry Margaret - forgot to add more detail -

Annie died 19 March 1916 at Nook Fold Farm, Dilworth, Longridge, Lancs, as did the two children. I couldn't see any evidence in St Lawrence's churchyard when we went there, but I may have missed it.

I'll have a look at the link you've kindly given me, thank you.

Gwyn
          If she's buried in the churchyard, there should be an entry in the parish's burial register. If the register is current it will be held in the parish's own records and you would need to contact the incumbent &/or churchwardens to get a copy of the record. There is generally a standard fee for that. If the register is complete, then it should have been passed to the County Archives.

It's unlikely that her burial would be significantly later than that date, unless that March was unusually cold, causing the ground to be too frozen to dig.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

just because there is no headstone doesn't mean she isn't buried there. i would email the local council about it. give the names of all concerned, their dates and places of death, and state you would like to know where they are buried. i did this with darlington council, and they were so helpful and very quick. i also did the same with ipswich in suffolk, who did check burial registers but not cremations, so they needed a bit of prodding. darlington gave me the row and grave number for each entry in the cemetery, so give it a shot! turns out my gran used to walk in the cemetery her grandparents were buried in when she was a nanny in the late 40's.
            Last edited by kylejustin; 18-08-13, 08:02.

Comment

I should have thought of that too! It's even more inexcusable, as when I was searching for my paternal grandparents, I knew where they were buried, but not exactly where - the cemetery is enormous. I contacted the person in charge for the plot number and when we eventually found it, there was no headstone.

So, thank you - I'll contact Preston Council and see what happens. I've written to the vicar at Longridge too, as Margaret suggested, and perhaps I'll strike lucky.

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
              X