Icelandic Ancestors/Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icelandic Ancestors/Help

Looking for my Icelandic Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother who immigrated from Iceland about 1905 arriving in Quebec and settling in Markerville,AB Cdn.
    Names:Kristian and Gudny Johannesson.Anyone know how |I can obtain any records>Have checked ship records and also LDS.
    :p

Have you tried:

http://automatedgenealogy.com (for census records)? e.g. there are in the 1906 Census:

470 Johanason C Head M M 40
    17 Johanason Gwina Wife F M 35

in the Edmonton District of Alberta, from Iceland and who immigrated in 1906

Also in 1911:

36 55 Johanneson Christien M Head M Oct 1866 44
    37 55 Johanneson Gredney F Wife M Nov 1870 40
    38 55 Johanneson Gr? F Daughter S Dec 1910 6/12

In Red Deer, Alberta.

But would need to know from you whether the ages are right

Also: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca e.g. there is a JOHANNESSON, GUDNI who attested to the CEF. They also have the 1916 census and so could this be the right family in Red Deer, Alberta?

Chris age 49
    Gudny age 45
    Lilian age 5
    Last edited by Bertie; 17-08-13, 06:32.

Comment

I think the above are correct as I have just found a letter in the Lögberg-Heimskringla from 2002 from someone in Manitoba who states that her mother was Lilian, the only child of Kristjan and Gudny Johannesson, and who arrived apparently in c1900. The link is (see letters at bottom of the page)

Comment

There are some trees on A***y one of which in particular has quite a lot of information about Lillian Ingridur JOHANNESSON including her birth / death dates, her husband (and his birth / death dates), their marriage date, and also their son and his wife. Unless this is your tree, it may be worth contacting the owner to share information

Also, what about this marriage?

NameKristjan Johannesson
        Spouse's NameGudny Kristjansdr
        Event Date10 Aug 1901
        Event PlaceSvalbard I Thistilfirdi, Nordur-Thingeyjarsysla, Iceland
        Indexing Project (Batch) NumberM49235-2
        System OriginIceland-EASy
        GS Film number74028

If you get hold of the record itself it may show additional information
        Last edited by Bertie; 17-08-13, 09:21.

Comment

Yes!That is my aunt Myra whom I have been on the phone with collecting dates.She may not have remembered about the newspaper.

Comment

Yes thank u Bertie this is them.Now If I want to find more of his lineage -parents etc.what shall I search?

Comment

what is A***y and how do I contact the owner of the tree?

Comment

Hi Rosebud - Ancestry is the organisation that has the tree: if you are not a subscriber you can join mundia and contact them directly from there. None of the trees has parents for Kristjan or Gudny though.

The marriage record (do you think it is them?) is on Familysearch. If you are near a LDS centre you can order it or you can get an image of it sent to you (at no cost) by contacting them at photoduplication@familysearch.org adding in all the information above (and putting in your name & address): they take about 4 weeks or so to send the images

Comment

Thanx do u have any suggestions where I can search for the parents of Chris( My great grandfather) and or his siblings?

Comment

I would start with the marriage record and see what it yields in terms of parent(s) and witness(es). Do you have his death record? (does it give parents' names as they do in Scotland?).

I suspect you need to find sources in Iceland - can't help there at all I'm afraid.

Comment

Hi There,

There is an online site called www.islendingabok.is - The Book of Iceland.

It is a genealogy book, and has names etc going back to the 1700 's. It is free, but you do need to register. Sorry, but I don't know whether it is in Icelandic or English.

Also genforum has an Iceland forum. It might be worth checking it out.

bcbrit
                      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

there is a website posted not long ago, about genealogy for iceland. had many pedigrees because the population was becoming inbred, and you could jump on the site and figure out potential partners and their consanguinity.

Comment

Although not specified in post #12 I think the site referred to is the fabulous one mentioned by bcbrit in #11.

Unfortunately (if you click on English summary) there is the following:

"The database is in Icelandic and is unfortunately not available in other languages.

Access to the genealogical database Íslendingabók is currently limited to Icelandic citizens and legal residents of Iceland who have been issued an Icelandic ID number (kennitala)".

However, I would suggest you try to contact friendly Icelanders on an appropriate / relevant genealogy site: they may do look-ups for you. It's at times like this that the sad demise of RAOGK is much regretted.

For example: http://www.halfdan.is/vestur/refweb.htm there is (first listed):

The Forefather Finding Facility has a large database of Icelandic genealogy. If you e-mail with the first name, last name, approximate birth date, and location in Iceland where your ancestor was born or lived, you may be able to get a list of ancestors and descendants. Of course you can write in English, but the computer listings will be in Icelandic. The computer listings will be sent as text documents so you can easily print them.
                          Happy hunting
                          Last edited by Bertie; 18-08-13, 11:05.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                            Hi There,

There is an online site called www.islendingabok.is - The Book of Iceland.

It is a genealogy book, and has names etc going back to the 1700 's. It is free, but you do need to register. Sorry, but I don't know whether it is in Icelandic or English.

Also genforum has an Iceland forum. It might be worth checking it out.

bcbrit
                            Hi thanx yes I saw the Book of Iceland site and unfortunately it is in Icelandic so will try the forum.

Comment

Thank you Bertie I emailed the info last night ..just waiting.I really hope to find the rest of the puzzle in Iceland.

Comment

Thanx will keep checking!

Comment

Hi Rosebud,

I found this on www.centralalbertahistory.org

Settlement Tales of West Central Alberta
                                  The Markerville Story

Aithor Carl Morkelberg

It has families etc from 1888 to the late 1960's. Markerville was settled by the Icelanders in 1888. It may be where your family settled there ?

bcbrit
                                  Last edited by bcbrit; 20-08-13, 02:24.
                                  George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thanx bcbrit..Have read thru but no mention of the ancestor I search.Yes they did settle in the Markerville area.My great grandfather is actually buried there and my aunt has visited the grave.

Comment

Apparently tracing Icelandic Ancestry is not that difficult, as records going back to the ninth century are available, and a small population, but you need to be able to tap into the source of information. When we were on holiday around Iceland, the genealogy kept cropping up about how Icelanders can trace their history so easily. Have you tried writing to a Geneology or Family History Centre in Reykjavick to enquire as to where to start with your own family?

Janet
                                      Last edited by Janet; 28-08-13, 13:13.

Comment

Working...
                                      X