Immigration - Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration - Canada

After putting this person on the back burner for a while I'm now having another go!

Martha Allen Graham (known as Patty) born Bury, Lancs 1894.

She has been found arriving in Canada aboard the Corsican on July 1912 to work as a domestic (in what looks like St. John, New Brunswick). Port of arrival Quebec.

BUT

The L.A.C. index has her listed as a home child travelling with a group of 10 other 17/19 year olds.

Any help or suggestions re Patty Allen Graham will be very welcome.

Thanks.
    Cath.

Hi Cath - the LAC record shows Patty arriving on the Corsican as a group of children travelling together. What this record indicates is that for some reason Patty was sent to Canada as a 'Home Child' - probably to have a better life. Most likely she was sent by Dr. Barnardo. If you are a direct descendant you can apply to see her record.

However, have you seen the actual departure and arrival records to be sure she was actually sent as a Home Child?

I see that in 1911 she is a Servant in the LORD household in Bury.

Why might she have left for Canada?
    Last edited by Bertie; 15-08-13, 15:09.

Comment

Thanks Bertie. The BUT is because she was not an orphan, she was also 19 years old. (She was my father's much older half sister.) On the 1911 census she is working as a live in servant just around the corner from her parents. Their home was a bit like the old woman who lived in a shoe!
      Cath.

Comment

May be a long shot but there is a Patty COUTTE in Sask. in 1916 (via LAC) who is 22, English and immigrated in 1912. Husband William appears to be aged 81 (!) - might she have been his housekeeper first?

Comment

Could there be an error in the LAC?

On the manifest, Patty is shown as 'British Bonus Allowed' (see below link for explanation), and yet looking at 7 of these other names, none of them have this comment by their names in the manifest (haven't checked all of them). Edit: I see now that Lyne has the same stamp)
          Last edited by keldon; 15-08-13, 16:04.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Cath, if you want to follow up on the possibility of her being a Home child, it might be worthwhile making contact with one of our members, George
            George is very involved with the British Home Children in Canada and I am sure she would be happy to help/advise.
            Elaine

Comment

The Salvation Army sent older children to Canada too. My OH's father a 15 year old city boy was sent out to be a trainee farmer in 1923. He wasn't an orphan but his family was a large one. Unfortunately the records in UK were lost but there were some in Canada covering his arrival and first 3 years.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks everyone. I seem to have already covered all your suggestions earlier. This person (and also an older brother who arrived in Canada in 1925) have hidden themselves there "good and proper."
                Cath.

Comment

I know the age isn't right, but have you discounted the Incoming Passenger List (1913) for a Patty Graham, Quebec > Liverpool

Elaine

Comment

Thanks Bertie. This has given us another lead. Another family member with access to ancestry has discovered that William was in fact 31 and by 1926 Patty had reverted back to her original name of Martha.
                    Cath.

Comment

Cath, have you found Patty/Martha in Canada in 1926?
                      Elaine

Comment

Interesting about the 1916 if it is the right family. The LAC transcription states William COUTTE (COUTTS?) age 31 but the image clearly shows 81. He appears to have an occupation Baker / Barber though which would seem odd if he was 81. Also shown born Ontario of Scottish descent (though could be born Scotland?)

Comment

Excerpt from email from another relative of Patty/Martha

was able to access the 1921 Census, she has changed her name to Martha They
                          have 2 children William H 4 yrs 6 months and Dorothy aged 3
                          The address was
                          Swift Current village of Webb Saskatchewan.
                          By 1935 (on voters register)
                          they were still at same address Dorothy was missing but William H was there.
                          I
                          think this has to be them, there are too many coincidences.

We spent years looking for "Martha Allen Graham" only to discover that "Patty" is a nickname for Martha and so were able to find her on 1911 UK census and 1912 passenger lists. We a pretty sure that is her as there appear to be no other Patty Grahams born in the right place at the right time. Just a pity that there are no more on line records for us to follow as her daughter would have been my half cousin and Martha a full great x3 aunt to my friend and fellow researcher ( found via FTF and living 1 mile away!).
                          Cath.

Comment

Hi Cath - have you got the marriage record / abstract to confirm absolutely she is the right person?

Comment

Out of interest, Cath, which sub-district of Swift Current, Sask. is the family located, and on which page? (currently the 1921 is only searchable by location, not name and there are 69 sub-distrcits!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                                Hi Cath - have you got the marriage record / abstract to confirm absolutely she is the right person?

That would have been our next move but we don't know where to find it.
                                Cath.

Comment

Hi Cath,

I used the info from the 1911 census for Webb, near Swift Current, Saskatchewan.

The official markings were Township 13,14. Range 15,16,17 W3M.

In the 1921 census using the same markings, Webb was sub district 38. Image 10 of 18.

There is William Coutts, age 37, baker ?, born Ontario.
                                  Martha,
                                  William H age 4 year and Dorothy age 3 yr.

NB - Scottish descent means a parent/ parents were born in Scotland.

Please take care with this family as there is another William Coutts who married Martha Perks, with children William H and Dorothy. They were all roughly the same age. This William was born in Ontario, Martha Perks in England.

Webbis a tiny rural community now - population 44 ! It is about 20 miles from Swift Current.

bcbrit
                                  George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Cath,

It might be worth emailing Swift Current Museum. Smaller communities often have a wealth of information on their pioneers.

I also checked out http//genealogy.ehealthsask.ca to see if BDMs are online. Unfortunately births are online over 100 years, deaths are 70 years, marriages are 75 years. Marriages are not online yet as they are still puttung Deaths on.

bcbrit
                                    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Thanks bcbrit

Please take care with this family as there is another William Coutts who married Martha Perks, with children William H and Dorothy. They were all roughly the same age. This William was born in Ontario, Martha Perks in England.

Are this family also in Swift current?
                                      Cath.

Comment

Hi Cath,

According to the tree that I saw on ancestry - it jumped from William John Coutt's birth in Ontario to his death in BC.

I am not sure if I can name the tree, but here is the information off it.

William John Coutts born 1884 Ontario, married 1916 to Martha May Perks, who born in 1890 Birmingham.
                                        Two children - Dorothy Elizabeth b. 1910, and William Henry b.1916
                                        William John and his son died in BC.

bcbrit

Comment

Working...
                                        X