Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walsall Staffordshire

Can any one help me,

I am trying to find the parents of William Arthur Lees born 1891 Walsall Staffordshire, he married Phoebe Bird 1913 I have his WW1 records, he worked as a labourer in the railways.

I may have to send for their marriage certificate, can not find him in the 1901, census in the 1911 census, have found one in the name of William Lees with a father called Henry this William worked as iron worker in bridge construction is this the one I am looking for.

Thank you Annabel

A William Arthur Lees has a birth registered in Walsall in 4th Qtr 1891 ref;6b/700. Probably your relation and you should buy the birth cert to establish parentage.

Comment

There is a birth record for William Arthur LEES in Walsall in Oct-Dec 1891 (Vol 6B page 700), but there is also a William LEES registered in Walsall in Jul-Sep of the same year. To be certain which is correct you should start with his marriage certificate so that you know his father's name/ occupation.

Without that certificate there is always going to be some element of assumption in any link.
      Last edited by AntonyM; 13-08-13, 09:01.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

If your registering a Birth, I would have thought you would register the full name. I realise that after that, full names are not always used.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
          If your registering a Birth, I would have thought you would register the full name. I realise that after that, full names are not always used.
          I agree absolutely and 99% of the time you would be correct - but just occasionally you get names appearing/disappearing later in life or even birth entries indexed without the full names being shown.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 13-08-13, 09:14.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you for your views
            been looking at his children's names but no clues, but one as a unusual Christian name Redvers which comes from Phoebe Birds side .

Annabel

Comment

there was a general around 1900 surnamed 'redvers' my great grandfather's brother was given that as a middle name. are you researching up or down william's line?

Comment

William A. Lees marries Phoebe Bird 2nd Qtr 1913 ref 6b/1092.............as ever this certificate will be of much help to you.

Comment

William Arthur Lees was my friends grandfather, looking to go back, he knows nothing about the lees side of his family.

Comment

Working...
                  X