Help needed from Scotland to Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed from Scotland to Ireland

I have been researching my family on and off over the last few years. Have been stuck for some time finding ancestors in Ireland before they came to Scotland.
    Have 1891 Census record for Hugh Airlie (Head), 7 Ferry Road, Renfrew (not to be confused with Thomas Airlie, head, 5 Ferry Road - although they may be related??). Hugh is shown as born in Ireland, 56 years of age, lives with his wife Annie (nee McKay) and 6 children, James, Hugh, Mary, Easther, John and Robert.

I have a record of his death which shows he died in September 1905 in Renfrew at the age of 58 (although I think this is wrong when compared with the census details). His parents are shown as James Airlie, Farmer and Esther Airlie, nee Palmer. I am assuming both from Ireland. I have searched the usual free Irish genealogy sites for a marriage of James and Esther and birth of Hugh, but can find nothing, even using the alternative name options.

Can anyone tell me where I could possibly go next. I have no idea where in Ireland they may be from or their ages, or if they had other children. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jacqu

Originally posted by Jacqu View Post
    I have been researching my family on and off over the last few years. Have been stuck for some time finding ancestors in Ireland before they came to Scotland.
    Have 1891 Census record for Hugh Airlie (Head), 7 Ferry Road, Renfrew (not to be confused with Thomas Airlie, head, 5 Ferry Road - although they may be related??). Hugh is shown as born in Ireland, 56 years of age, lives with his wife Annie (nee McKay) and 6 children, James, Hugh, Mary, Easther, John and Robert.

I have a record of his death which shows he died in September 1905 in Renfrew at the age of 58 (although I think this is wrong when compared with the census details). His parents are shown as James Airlie, Farmer and Esther Airlie, nee Palmer. I am assuming both from Ireland. I have searched the usual free Irish genealogy sites for a marriage of James and Esther and birth of Hugh, but can find nothing, even using the alternative name options.

Can anyone tell me where I could possibly go next. I have no idea where in Ireland they may be from or their ages, or if they had other children. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jacqu
    It is very difficult to research back in Ireland as there are no census records before 1901 so because you people were in Scotland by then you cannot get a better fix on where they were born.

Civil registration for births in Ireland did not start until 1864 so you would need parish records and for that you need to know whether they were Catholic or not and also where in Ireland.

Have a look on the Reference Page on here for other sources to check. Click the button at the top left of the page.

Margaret

Comment

Have you checked Scotlands People for a marriage for Hugh and Annie around 1860-1863 as their eldest son on the 1891 would have been born 1863.

Margaret

Comment

Might be worth getting the birth cert for Hugh and Annies first child that was born in Scotland as sometimes the Scottish records show the date of the parents marriage.

Civil Reg of marriages started in 1845 so if you had a date you could ask the Ireland GRO to search on that date for you and maybe find the place.

Margaret
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 12-08-13, 18:13.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          Might be worth getting the birth cert for Hugh and Annies first child that was born in Scotland as sometimes the Scottish records show the date of the parents marriage.

The date and place of the parents marriage is normally always shown on Scottish birth certificates, save for the years 1856 to 1860 when it was omitted. So finding the parents marriage from a birth certificate (assuming you haven't already been able to do so) is a good idea.

The name Airlie is not common in Ireland. In the 1901 census there were only 17 of them. The alternative Early/Earlie is much more common (with well over 1000), so you would need to be sure to include those in your search. Names often changed when people left Ireland.

A high percentage of the Irish who settled in the Glasgow area came from the counties of what is now Northern Ireland, and with names like Airlie/Early & Palmer, I’d suspect that’s where they originated. But that's just speculative at this stage.

Have you looked for any Poor Law applications for the family? If they made an application then that usually recorded parish of origin in Ireland. Applications for the Glasgow area are in the Mitchell Library, Glasgow (who will look them up for a small fee).

Unless you can trace the family’s parish or townland in Ireland, for births & marriages pre-civil registration (as in this case) then it’s a needle in a haystack. And you do need to know their denomination too.

As far as Northern Ireland is concerned, not all church records are on-line so there are limitations to searching on the usual pay to view sites. In many cases it’s necessary to search the copies of church records held in PRONI, Belfast. But you need to know the denomination and have some idea of where they lived before you can start that search.
          Last edited by Elwyn; 12-08-13, 21:03.
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I suspect the marriage you are looking for is:

NameHugh Earley
            Spouse's NameAnn Mckay
            Event Date07 Sep 1858
            Event PlaceDalry,Ayr,Scotland
            Indexing Project (Batch) NumberM11587-1
            System OriginScotland-ODM
            GS Film number6035516

You can also get this from scotlandspeople (as Hugh Early).

This means they should be in the 1861 census - do check them all as occasionally the enumerator records which Irish county. The marriage may also help you to determine denomination

Comment

certainly confirm parents names, but they could also vary, being the bride or groom give the info. witttnesses may help, but in my experience they are not related to the parties.

Comment

Thank you so much. You have given me a couple of directions to take.

Comment

I have just checked 1871 census, Scotlands People and found Hugh Earley and Ann, with an older son I wasn't aware of. Again many thanks.

Comment

Now have the marriage cert of Hugh and Ann - going great guns now

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                      I suspect the marriage you are looking for is:

NameHugh Earley
                      Spouse's NameAnn Mckay
                      Event Date07 Sep 1858
                      Event PlaceDalry,Ayr,Scotland
                      Indexing Project (Batch) NumberM11587-1
                      System OriginScotland-ODM
                      GS Film number6035516

You can also get this from scotlandspeople (as Hugh Early).

This means they should be in the 1861 census - do check them all as occasionally the enumerator records which Irish county. The marriage may also help you to determine denomination
                      Pity the marriage is in Scotland - I was hoping for Ireland!

Here they are in 1861 Source Citation: Parish: Old Monkland; ED: 21; Page: 15; Line: 18; Roll: CSSCT1861_118 transcribed as Early. Also with them is another Irish family name Briens - could be relatives?

Someone has added the name Elizabeth Briens as alternative information on ancestry for Ann Early can't see a reason.

Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 13-08-13, 14:20.

Comment

marriage in scotland is more of an advantage i think- you get parents names. looking for their marriage, you could get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          marriage in scotland is more of an advantage i think- you get parents names. looking for their marriage, you could get lucky.
                          The issue here though is that the grooms Irish parents names are known but cannot be traced as it is not known where in Ireland they originate from.

The census records for the groom only state Ireland.

Margaret

Comment

I did try the 1861 census but without luck. I will try again. I have now located several relatives, some emigrating to America. This website has certainly helped me move forward.
                            Jacqui

Comment

here's the reference again

1861 Source Citation: Parish: Old Monkland; ED: 21; Page: 15; Line: 18; Roll: CSSCT1861_118 transcribed as Early. Also try looking for Brien as they are in the same household.

Margaret

Comment

I can't find them on Scotlandspeople for 1861 but here are some more details that may help

Hugh Early Age: 24 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
                                Relationship: Head
                                Spouse's name : Ann Early
                                Where born: Ireland
                                Registration number: 652/2
                                Registration District: Old Monkland Middle District
                                Civil Parish: Old Monkland Coatbridge Lanarkshire
                                Address: 37 West Row
                                ED: 21 Household Schedule Number: 77 Line: 18 Roll: CSSCT1861_118

Comment

Hello everyone I have a problem in researching my Irish roots. My great grandmother Margaret Wray was married in Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland on the 12th May 1908 to my great grandfather Robert Moore. She was born around 1886 I have only found the father's names of both of them. I am ideally trying to find her birth certificate but no luck. I don't even know how to find out how she came to be in Glasgow with her husband.
                                  Yours Mrs Wendy Landale nee Guldberg
                                  P.S. This is where I got some information
                                  http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/view_det...donegal&page=1

Comment

Did the family stay in Glasgow?
                                    If so, if you get the death certificate it will give the names of both parents.
                                    I have done a quick search on Scotlands People - there is the death of a Margaret Rae Wray - other name Moore - in 1921, aged 34 = b c 1887.

Not expensive to download from SP - £7 will get you 30 credits and with this you will be able to get 5 certs.

Perhaps you already have this death cert and the names are not there??

PS - I wonder if this should be a different thread as maybe not related to original one.
                                    Last edited by herky; 12-10-13, 10:56.
                                    herky
                                    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I haven’t been able to follow the link you provided to see what advice you have already been given.

1. What’s Margaret’s father’s name?
                                      2. What’s her townland (address) at the time of the marriage?
                                      3. Which church did she marry at, including the denomination?
                                      4. Have you found her in the 1901 census (I see 3 possibles but without her father’s name can’t narrow the search further).

The question about why they went to Glasgow is probably easy enough to answer. They will have gone there for work. Huge numbers of people from Donegal made that journey for that reason (and still do to this day). Donegal and the surrounding area has no natural resources, such as coal, oil, iron ore etc, and so the industrial revolution that created hundreds of thousands of new jobs in other places in the 1800s and early 1900s just passed it by. There was little employment but for subsistence farming. Scotland was full of coal etc and so spawned a huge industrial expansion eg ship building, railways etc, and all the support industries that were required for that. If you look at a typical census for the industrial areas around Glasgow in 1901 or 1911 you’ll find that probably 10% of the population were from Ireland. They had all moved for that same reason. (It’s a very easy journey from Donegal. At that time there was a regular Burns, Laird lines ferry overnight from Derry to Broomielaw Quay, in Glasgow).

PS You have this query running on 3 different threads on this site. That can lead to a bit of duplication and confusion. Best avoided.
                                      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
                                        PS You have this query running on 3 different threads on this site. That can lead to a bit of duplication and confusion. Best avoided.
                                        Yes - if you start a new thread, it will allow you to focus your questions and the responses to it, and making tracking the thread easier, too.

Welcome to ftf!

Comment

Working...
                                        X