What happened to Charles after 1852?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Charles after 1852?

I am new to this Forum and hope to have better luck in searching for Charles - and others!

I am looking for Charles Pow, who was a tailor in Bath in 1852. The 1852 Bath Trades Directory has him listed living at 3 Princes Street, Walcot, Bath.

I have not found him after this date, can anyone help further?

I have not found a death entry in Somerset either.

Ralph41

Welcome to the forum.

Couple of questions
    Do you know when and where he was born.
    Have you found him in the 1851 census?
    Elaine

Comment

Charles was Born 20 Nov 1822 in Walcot , baptised in St Swithen.
      He was on the 1851 census; I do not have the Details.

His father was William Pow, mother Hannah Smith

Ralph41

Comment

If I've got the right census then he was listed as a porter in 1851 - so seems to have gone up in the world between 1851 and 1852 where you say he is listed as a tailor!

1851 census
        living with father William Pow (occ tailor)

HO107; Piece: 1942; Folio: 482; Page: 5;
        Elaine

Comment

That´s the right census Elaine.

He had three Brothers,
          Thomas POW Born 13 Oct 1820, baptised 20 Nov 1822,
          George POW Born 6 Dec 1827, baptised 28 May 1828, living in Bristol Road, Weston in 1841and
          John POW Born 1826, baptised 28 May 1828, he is the only brother that I have been able to find a complete history for.

Ralph41

Comment

Not having much luck finding out where he might be! :(

Any middle name on the baptism certificate?
            Elaine

Comment

Sorry no middle names on Certificates. The same Information on a transcript from a Family bible

Comment

Hi

You say that Thomas was born 13 Oct 1820 and Christened on 20 Nov 1822, and that Charles was born on the same day that Thomas was Christened. Sounds rather odd to me. Would you mind checking your dates, please?

STG

Edited to add: On the 1841 census, William, age 55, a tailor, is living with Charles and John, both said to be 15 in St Mark's Buildings, Walcot. John also said to be a Tailor, whereas Charles is said to be an Errand Boy.

Drat the age rounding in 1841!
                Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 12-08-13, 15:01.
                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Re-checked the two transcripts, there is not birth date for Charles; just the baptism 20 Nov 1822.

I tried freeBMD some time ago and did not find out more.

Ralph41

Comment

John and Charles' baptism records are on FreeReg

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

so maybe the other two boys' are as well.
                    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I have confired the baptisms now. But still not found burials for Charles, George and Thomas in Somerset.:(

Could they be in Glos.

Comment

Are George and Thomas also missing after the 1851 census?
                        Elaine

Comment

Yes all are missing except for John who I have completed.

Comment

Were George and Thomas also born Walcot?
                            Elaine

Comment

The whole Family were Born in Walcot

Comment

My Eldridge ancestors were also all from Walcot and in the tailoring trade so they probably knew your Pow family. Unfortunately this hasn't given me any extra powers to help in the search but just thought I'd say hello and wish you luck in the search. My Thomas Eldridge left Bath for Islington, London some time between 1851 and 1861 .
                                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Sorry Ralph, not having much luck with this at all.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Just thinking out loud....................................

Were Charles, Thomas and George transported to Australia or Tasmania on the convict ships in the 1850´s

Comment

I found the address in the 1852 Bath Trades Directory not in the 1851 census.

John Pow was the brother and his Family, in 1861 they were living at 10 Princes Street

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph41 View Post
                                        Just thinking out loud....................................

Were Charles, Thomas and George transported to Australia or Tasmania on the convict ships in the 1850´s
                                        I thought about that but couldn't see them in any passenger lists. I also looked at UK newspapers to see if there is any evidence of them being charged with an offence. Also had a quick look at the Trove newspaper site.

Do you know when their father William died? Did he leave a will?
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X