Electoral Rolls Look-up please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral Rolls Look-up please.

I've been searching, (without success) for a definate Birth and Death for my G/G/Grandmother Ellen Dyer.

She was born in Deptford Kent in (approx) 1845/7.

Having ordered several Certs that turned out to be wrong on this branch, - I'm trying to check out all avenues before ordering another.

I've found this Death Entry:

Dyer Ellen 93yrs Hampstead Volume 1a Page 931

The Dyers seem to have been relatively long lived, - with Ellen's daughters reaching: Beatrice 94yrs, Nell 94yrs, and Rose 100yrs.

And so there is a chance that this entry could be for the Ellen Dyer that I'm looking for... On the 1911 Census Ellen Dyer was at 249 Seven Sisters Road, Tottenham with son William and daughter Edith Dyer. It is thought that William Dyer went to Canada, and I'm unable to find Edith Dyer after 1911.

I'm surprised by the Hampstead Registration, - but would like to see if it's possible to check further before ordering the Cert.

I should be grateful if anyone with Ancestry access could see whether they can see Ellen Dyer on the Electoral Rolls round about 1940/'41.

Cheers, Holly.

If Dyer wasa her married surname, what was her maiden name, Holly?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
      If Dyer wasa her married surname, what was her maiden name, Holly?
      Hi Elizabeth,

Ellen Dyer's Maiden name was Ellen Hamilton.

I think that her parents were Charles and Charlotte Hamilton, but I can't definately verify this. I have a Birth Cert for an Ellen Hamilton born in Deptford Kent in Dec 1845, but it doesn't match up to her ages in the Censuses.

If I can find a definate Death Cert, - then it might give me more information to go on. Finding her on the London Electoral Rolls records would help. (There is a 1939 Entry for an Ellen Dyer, but I don't know if it's for the one I'm looking for).

Holly.
      Last edited by Holly; 12-08-13, 10:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
        Hi Elizabeth,

Ellen Dyer's Maiden name was Ellen Hamilton.

I think that her parents were Charles and Charlotte Hamilton, but I can't definately verify this. I have a Birth Cert for an Ellen Hamilton born in Deptford Kent in Dec 1845, but it doesn't match up to her ages in the Censuses.
        There is an 1851 census entry which shows a Ellen Hamilton, age 5 born Deptford, living with a Charlotte Hamilton (probably mother). I think Charlotte is shown as wife of a Greenwich pensioner (difficult to read!)
        HO107; Piece: 1586; Folio: 83; Page: 1

Do you have the marriage certificate for Ellen - if so what does it give as father's name and occupation.

What is the date of birth on the birth certificate - and again what does it give as father's occupation?
        Elaine

Comment

There was an Ellen Dyer living at 37 Wells Buildings Oriel Place Hampstead 1925-1939 living alone. No ERs 1940-1944 (WW2)
          She was not there in 1945, no 37 not listed.
          Moggie

Comment

There is a burial for the Ellen Dyer died 1941 on above link. Buried 22nd march 1941 Hampstead Cemetery. I don't know what info you would get if you paid for a copy of the burial scan.
            Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie,

Many thanks for looking for me. There is a possibility that this could be the one that I'm looking for...
              Just one concern, - was that a very 'up market' area at that time? Ellen Dyer would have been a fairly poor widow, - in 1911 she was living above a shop in Seven Sisters Road.

Holly.

Comment

Hi Holly
                For me the word "buildings" doesn't conjure up wealthy area. I was thinking along the lines of Peabody Buildings, Guinness Buildings etc.

From A History of the County of Middlesex.
                The Hampstead charities took part in building during the 1870s and 1880s. In 1873-4 the trustees of the Wells charity enfranchised their property, containing 19 buildings, mostly houses in Well Walk. In 1876 they acquired a site in Crockett's Court, where they built a block of artisans' dwellings called Wells Buildings.

Moggie

Comment

Hi Elaine,

You have previously kindly looked at this family for me. (I'm not sure how to link posts on this site).

Ellen Hamilton Married William Dyer in Lewisham in 1868. She gives her father as 'John Hamilton, Sailor' on that Cert.

On Charles Hamilton's Marriage Cert he is a 'Mariner'.

I'm unsure , (because of father's name) if I have the right Birth Cert for Ellen.

Therefore I'm persuing a Death Entry for her.

Holly.

Comment

Many thanks for the help Moggie.

This Death is a definate possibilty then, - and thanks for the Link to the deceased on-line Site, - I hadn't seen that before!

Cheers, Holly.

Comment

Hi Elaine,

You have previously kindly looked at this family for me. (I'm not sure how to link posts on this site).

Ellen Hamilton Married William Dyer in Lewisham in 1868. She gives her father as 'John Hamilton, Sailor' on that Cert.

On Charles Hamilton's Marriage Cert he is a 'Mariner'.

I'm unsure , (because of father's name) if I have the right Birth Cert for Ellen.

Therefore I'm persuing a Death Entry for her.

Holly.
                      It's coming back to me! :D
                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                        https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch
                        There is a burial for the Ellen Dyer died 1941 on above link. Buried 22nd march 1941 Hampstead Cemetery. I don't know what info you would get if you paid for a copy of the burial scan.
                        Moggie
                        Hi again,

I paid up and downloaded the Death Scan, - but very little info really! Just her name/age/address/where buried.

To get anything more, I would have to order the Death Cert.

Holly.

Comment

Hi Holly
                          Was the address Wells Buildings?
                          Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                            Hi Holly
                            Was the address Wells Buildings?
                            Moggie
                            Yes it was, - No 37, and looks like the Burial was conducted by the Vicar of St Lukes Church.

Holly.

Comment

the hampstead ellen dyer appears in the ER from 1925 to 1939 in oriel place/wells buildings

It does seen strange that you ellens daughter ellen, has her aunt rose living with her in capel manor (very nice) for many years, have you traced all the other family ?
                              Lorraine

Comment

were there a Albert Charles/Richard Robert/William James in her family?

Comment

Originally posted by loltel View Post
                                  the hampstead ellen dyer appears in the ER from 1925 to 1939 in oriel place/wells buildings
                                  It does seen strange that you ellens daughter ellen, has her aunt rose living with her in capel manor (very nice) for many years, have you traced all the other family ?
                                  Not all of them, - Ellen and William Dyer had 7 children!

My link is through Frances Dyer, - Ellen's eldest daughter.

Do you have a link to this family?

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                    were there a Albert Charles/Richard Robert/William James in her family?
                                    I don't know Val, - I've been concentrating on trying to ascertain if I'm looking at the right Ellen Dyer, (née Hamilton) or not.

Holly.

Comment

Hi again,
                                      I paid up and downloaded the Death Scan, - but very little info really! Just her name/age/address/where buried.
                                      To get anything more, I would have to order the Death Cert.
                                      Holly.
                                      Death Cert obtained, - and it was definately the wrong Ellen Dyer:-(

This Ellen Dyer is the wife of a John Dyer and mother of a Lionel Dyer...

Ellen Hamilton, Born 1845 Greenwich married William Dyer in Lewisham in 1867. On the 1911 Census she's a Widow living in Tottenham with son William and daughter Lily.

I can't find her Death.

Any help welcomed!

Holly.

Comment

Just re-visiting this research.

Between us, my cousin and I have now ordered 4 Death Certs for Ellen Dyers which have been wrong:-(((

It is very puzzling, - she's on the 1911 Census, and she was 65 then... and so she must have died at some stage!!

Any help welcomed,
                                        Holly.

Comment

Working...
                                        X