Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Birth Certificate

Hi

I have a UK birth cert here from June 1939. The baby's birth was registered in August 1939 in London and the information provided by the baby's mother. She would have been not quite 21 at the time. Under "signature, description and residence of informant" it gives the mother's address where the baby was born and adds "as per declaration dated 31st July 1939." Does anyone know what sort of declaration it might have been and why it would have been needed?

The parents had been married for 3 years at the time their first child was born and the father was aged 27. The address that the mother gave and where the baby was born doesn't belong to the parents on the London electoral roll of the time. Another couple are registered as living there. But the parents appear at that address on the September 1939 Register that was carried out for WW2. And their second child was born there in 1940.

Hope this isn't confusing.

Thanks muchly.

I'm pretty sure that if the birth is registered in a different district to where the birth took place then the informant has to make a declaration and the certificate will have "as per declaration" in that box
    Jackie

Comment

I agree with Jackie.

you can register the birth of a child at any registration office in England and Wales BUT if it is not the district where the child was born, then the registration is made "by declaration" and the information passed to the Registrar of the correct (birth) district - sort of like an inter departmental memo!

The birth will only appear in the index of the birth district and not where the birth was actually registered.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        I agree with Jackie.

you can register the birth of a child at any registration office in England and Wales BUT if it is not the district where the child was born, then the registration is made "by declaration" and the information passed to the Registrar of the correct (birth) district - sort of like an inter departmental memo!

The birth will only appear in the index of the birth district and not where the birth was actually registered.

OC
        In agree - I had one recently and looked it up on the Government site and it confirms what OC says.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks everyone so much. That's very very helpful.

Comment

Though there was a recent episode of Heir Hunters or Long Lost Family or WDYTYA (can't remember which - or was it on this forum??) where a birth was registered twice and there were 2 certificates in existence from different registration districts.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

I think that's a slightly different scenario - two registrations is illegal and was probably done in error!

During the war, many women were sent to hospitals away from where they usually lived, so that they could give birth away from the bombs. (Although Sept 39 was probably a bit early for that idea to have kicked in). Lots of reasons for people to give birth out of area - my own daughter was on holiday when her baby decided to put in an early appearance, so she registered his birth "by declaration" when she got home.

OC

Comment

The early appearance one has turned up a few times recently in my own family! Including people giving birth hurriedly in cars.

In this case the baby was born at home at the end of June. From the Sept 1939 he's already been evacuated out of London to his grandparents. I think he may have been taken there soon after he was born and his birth originally registered in the district where his grandparents lived. Registered on 31st July 1939. It's cleared it up for me.

Thanks again everyone

Comment

Working...
                X