Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death at Sea.

From various on-line sources I have gleaned the following:-

Frederick John Vaughan Bearne (b 1879 Devon), carpenter, sailed from Wellington, New Zealand, for Southampton in 1926. There is an entry in Marine Death records of his death, aged 46, on board RMS Remuera in that year.

I am looking for help to put some flesh on the bones of these events of 1926. Any advice/additional detail would be much appreciated.

R.M.S Remuera was built in 1911 at the Wm.Deny&Bros Shipyard Dumbarton, registered in Plymouth, was owned by the New Zealand Shipping Company. It's class was passenger and refrigerated. The R.M.S. prefix (which dates from 1840) stands for Royal Mail Ship and any ship which had a contract to carry mail used this prefix. It was ariel torpedoed on the 26/08/1940. You might be able to find more information of the events you mentioned by going onto this website:

Vonny.

Comment

Hi
      Have you got the image from Findmypast? If not send me a PM with your email address & I will send it to you. he died with TB.
      Moggie

Comment

R.M.S Remuera was due to arrive at Southampton on July 30th.
        Moggie

Comment

Vonny - thanks for the background info.

Moggie - I have PM'd you

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
            R.M.S Remuera was due to arrive at Southampton on July 30th.
            Moggie
            Sorry, got the date wrong. It was due to arrive at Southampton July 5th & was leaving again for N.Z on the 30th.
            The passenger list is on Ancestry but I can't see your man listed.
            Moggie

Comment

There's a section in the passenger list for births and deaths during the voyage. I think his name in the main passenger list would have a line through it if he died at sea.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                There's a section in the passenger list for births and deaths during the voyage. I think his name in the main passenger list would have a line through it if he died at sea.
                Hi UJ
                I looked through all the pages. I thought there might be something right at the beginning or the end but it just gave a total number of adults, children & infants.
                Moggie

Comment

Was he definitely a passenger and not a ship's carpenter? (Crew, in other words).

OC

Comment

Thanks for everyone's interest.

I had wondered if he was a member of crew, particularly as he was not accompanied by either his wife or adult daughter, but his death is entered in register of deceased passengers (or would that include crew?).

Comment

As the death occurred just north of the equator and the ship was still some three weeks from port, would there have been a burial at sea or would the body have been brought back to UK?

Comment

Originally posted by brentor boy View Post
                        As the death occurred just north of the equator and the ship was still some three weeks from port, would there have been a burial at sea or would the body have been brought back to UK?
                        Hi
                        I wondered about that myself. If he was travelling alone or as OC suggested was a crew member who would have arranged a funeral in the UK?
                        From Vonny's description of the ship it was refrigerated so maybe his body was taken back to NZ.
                        Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by brentor boy View Post
                          Possibly at sea. Looking through newspapers of the time with search term 'buried at sea', there are several examples of deaths on a long voyage and subsequent burial at sea.
                          Phil
                          historyhouse.co.uk
                          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

There's quite a lot about the ship here: http://www.100megsfree3.com/glaw/remuera/
                            - It includes pictures of the ship and its interior - and even a couple of photos from a 1926 voyage - but it's to NZ, not from.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have now contacted Christchurch Library in the hope that his death, including details of his burial, may have been reported in the local press.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                There's quite a lot about the ship here: http://www.100megsfree3.com/glaw/remuera/
                                - It includes pictures of the ship and its interior - and even a couple of photos from a 1926 voyage - but it's to NZ, not from.

Christine
                                What a wonderful read on this website Christine, I really enjoyed reading the history and looking at all the pictures. What a fasinating find!
                                Vonny.

Comment

Working...
                                X