1921 Census of Canada

Linda

.. bet that is good news for some!
    Elaine

Comment

Mind you just had a proper look and it seems available only to browse

Linda

Comment

Found this on an Ancestry message board ..

"With the recent release of the 1921 Census of Canada by Statistics Canada, it is now available for browsing on Ancestry.ca through a partnership with Library and Archives Canada!
        The 1921 Census of Canada is the most recent census available to the public and its records cover Canada's peak immigration period, the rise of aboriginal and women's rights and the formation of this country's modern identity.

Indexing all 8.8 million records is keeping us busy here at Ancestry.ca, but you won't have to wait long to get a first look at the collection. You can browse the images of the entire collection for FREE now via the link below! Be sure to return often for updates — the entire collection will be indexed and ready to search later this year."
        ancestry, ancestry ca, 1921, 1921 census, 1921 Canada census, 1921 Canadian census, index, name index, census image, 1921 census image
        .. still I suppose browsing is better than nothing at all!
        Elaine

Comment

I am quite lucky as I know from previous census's where my lot were

Linda

Comment

Thank you Linda - may be well worth a look.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

hmmm...attempting to browse and it takes me to ancestry.ca inviting me to sign up, but I already have a worldwide sub!

Comment

I got in to the Canadian 1921 census via the find my past newsletter link as I couldn't get there in the normal way via worldwide.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I can access it using a worldwide sub via www.ancestry.co.uk
                  Elaine

Comment

-- try this link
                    ancestry, ancestry ca, 1921, 1921 census, 1921 Canada census, 1921 Canadian census, index, name index, census image, 1921 census image

rather than the link on post #4, which is ancestry.ca
                    Elaine

Comment

Happy happy happy bunny!

After 2 hours of browsing, I have found my infant Dad (aged 4 months) with my grandparents living in the house where my grandma lived from her marriage in 1919 until her death in 1975.

Now just need to find both sets of great grandparents, but that will have to wait a bit - I don't think my eyes will cope with more browsing at the moment! ;)
                      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Oh well done Sue - bet you are well chuffed with your find!
                        Elaine

Comment

Bet you are over the moon Sue. My Dad and his family were living in Canada from 1922 so just miss it...such a shame :(

Linda

Comment

had worldwide membership
                            :(

Researching:
                            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I have an address in East Montreal (1925). How do I find where to start looking please? just in case the chap I'm after was there in 1921.
                              Cath.

Comment

When I try to browse the images from the uk site, it only directs me to a Worldwide Upgrade page. :( My uk membership is valid until January 2014.

When you read
                                Library and Archives Canada is committed to making the 1921 Census’ rich and complex information accessible and available to all Canadians, no matter where they live, in the next few weeks. Further details on the 1921 Census’ availability will be shared once they are available
                                on http://thediscoverblog.com/2012/03/2...sus-countdown/
                                it seems a bit disingenuous, then to have put it behind a paywall!

I'm particularly disappointed because I was hoping to track Errant Grandfather to his residence in Toronto - to see what he was up to then!

Christine
                                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 09-08-13, 17:30.
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I picked up a blog which said it would be free on LAC after another three years!
                                  It’s finally here! Have you taken a look at it yet? What do you think? The 1921 Canada Census was the first census take...

Not a happy bunny! I can trek up to the local library to use their clunky library edition, but it's very disappointing, especially after the way the US census images were promptly made widely available for transcription.

Christine
                                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 09-08-13, 18:08.
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                    it seems a bit disingenuous, then to have put it behind a paywall!
                                    If you click on this link and then the orange start browsing button on the page that comes up, you can browse for free without having to go thru any pay wall or upgrade malarkey
                                    Un recensement est une liste officielle des personnes qui résident dans une région particulière à un moment donné, alors que les listes des électeurs contiennent les électeurs inscrits dans une région particulière. Les informations fournies par les recensements vous aident à mieux comprendre votre famille et apprécier comment et où ils vivaient. Les listes des électeurs servent de confirmation de résidence durant les années entre les recensements.

Probably only useful at the moment if you happen to know the enumeration sub district from the 1911 census and your ancestors stayed put in the intervening years, but they are hoping to have the whole lot indexed ready for name searches "later this year" whatever that means ...
                                    Christine
                                    Last edited by Karamazov; 09-08-13, 18:12.
                                    Researching:
                                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                                      If you click on this link and then the orange browse button on the page that comes up, you can browse for free without having to go thru any pay wall or upgrade malarkey
                                      Un recensement est une liste officielle des personnes qui résident dans une région particulière à un moment donné, alors que les listes des électeurs contiennent les électeurs inscrits dans une région particulière. Les informations fournies par les recensements vous aident à mieux comprendre votre famille et apprécier comment et où ils vivaient. Les listes des électeurs servent de confirmation de résidence durant les années entre les recensements.

Probably only useful at the moment if you happen to know the enumeration sub district from the 1911 census and your ancestors stayed put in the intervening years, but they are hoping to have the whole lot indexed ready for name searches "later this year" whatever that means ...
                                      Christine
                                      Thank you, Christine. But that sends me to a sign-in page?

I've managed ot work out some likely Districts/Wards... just can't get at them without driving up to the library!

Christine
                                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 09-08-13, 18:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                        Thank you, Christine. But that sends me to a sign-in page?

I've managed ot work out some likely Districts/Wards... just can't get at them without driving up to the library!

Christine
                                        Hmm, not sure why it's not working for you as it works for me as an ancestry "guest". Is your ancestry user name showing top right? If so, it might be worth logging out and trying again with the link I posted?????
                                        Christine
                                        Last edited by Karamazov; 09-08-13, 18:20.
                                        Researching:
                                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Working...
                                        X