Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Find My Past Blog - The most unusual 1911 census return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - The most unusual 1911 census return?

In our travels through the 1911 census, we found this little treasure: a census return that tells the story of Roger the Airedale Terrier. Here is ‘watchdog’ Roger with the rest of the Little family in Dulwich, London. Click on the image to see a larger version:

Head of the household, James Little, recorded the following charming details:
    ‘Incidentally, we have an Airedale Terrier. I do not know whether particulars are required, but in case you want them here they are!’:
    • Name: Roger
    • Children: ? but something over 100
    • Industry connected with: looking after house
    • Employed or working on own account: on own account
    • Whether working at home: at home and outside
    • Birthplace: Keighley, Yorkshire

The 1911 census is wonderful for many reasons, one of which is that it reveals our ancestors’ personalities and eccentricities. The descendants of the Little family may never have known they had a beloved watchdog, but the 1911 census reveals this priceless snippet to add to their family tree.
    Search the 1911 census today to see if your ancestors left you any similar gems!

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.
Working...
X