Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the real Hester Annison step forward, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the real Hester Annison step forward, please?

I have 2 cousins, both born Whissonsett, Norfolk – Esther Elizabeth Annison daughter of Thomas & Susannah, and Hester (A) Annison, daughter of John & Ann. ( Hester A is mine.)
    I THOUGHT I’d followed them both through census & got them sorted – after being in service, in 1891 Hester A was in Whissonsett Norfolk with her sister Mary Delilah, then in 1901 & 1911 in Heigham with another sister Mary(just Mary!).
    (H)esther Elizabeth was in service in Lewisham with the same employer 1871-1891. She left to marry Charles Robert Masters in 1892 and in 1901 & 1911 she and her husband lived in Loughborough.
    The marriage is on Ancestry – but Hester Elizabeth’s father is named as JOHN ??????? (Both Thomas Annison and his brother John Annison were dead by 1891)

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16...nSearchResults

Esther Elizabeth Hester A
    parents Thomas & Susannah John & Ann
    Birth yr 1843 baptised at Whissonsett (FreeREG) 1852 (no baptism)
    1851 Tattersett Nfk (recorded as 16yrs??)
    1861 Whissonsett Nfk
    1871 Lewisham Kent East Bradenham Nfk
    1881 Lewisham Kent St George Bloomsbury London
    1891 Lewisham Kent Whissonsett Nfk
    1901 Loughborough Heigham Nfk (York St)
    1911 Loughborough Heigham (Cambridge St)

I think I’m about to have a touch of the vapours and need a lie down in a darkened room! All suggestions welcome.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-08-13, 08:28. Reason: adding spaces
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Clutching at straws now - could she have said her father was named "Tom" and it was misheard as "John" ?????

I was so sure I'd got them sorted until I looked at the marriage register image :(

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet

Is this your Esther Elizabeth

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

If so she was born in 1835. The Hester on the mc was aged 43 in 1892.

Vera

Comment

Thank you for looking, Vera, yes that's the family. But I think that's another anomaly.

Thomas & Susan had a daughter Eliza bp at Whissonsett 10 Aug 1835.
        They also had a daughter Esther Elizabeth bp at Whissonsett in 1843. John (my line) had Mary Delilah and then another daughter who just plain Mary - both girls lived to a decent age.

I don't think the two are the same - unless they weren't sure she'd been baptised as a baby.

Esther Elizabeth is consistent through all census 1871 to 1911 that she was born at Whissonsett.
        My problem is I can only find the two (H)Esthers that I know about. Tracing forward and backwards, I just can't find another Hester born Whissonsett, nor another John.
        I think she may have fibbed at her marriage, to bring her in line with Charles.
        On the other hand, Charles seems too posh to have married a parlourmaid - the witnesses are his sister & her doctor husband.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation that I'm missing but I've got so that I just can't see the wood for the trees.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Son Henry Chrstmas Annison was 19 in 1851 but had only progressed to 20 in 1861!
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think I'll join you in that darkened room but love a challenge. I'm sure I just saw another Esther without the A. Will take another look.

Vera

Comment

Janet

No luck finding another (H) Esther Elizabeth.

I'm wondering if in fact the one you have marrying Charles Masters was b about 1835. I could not find an Eliza post 1841.

I note that Charles too was living in Lewisham prior to the marriage. He was a draughtsman, father a chemist. She had been in domestic service a long time so maybe held a good position and her father was a Farm Bailiff before his death. So not too out on the class system!!

She is not with her family after 1851 so possibly just forgot her father's name. There maybe a clue in the 1861 census but so far I haven't been able to find her.

Vera

Comment

Thank you so much for all your efforts on my behalf, Vera.

They were all a bit of a pain, what with the similarities in names and the poor guestimations of age.

I really appreciate the time you've spent on it.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

wonder if Hester did not marry?
                  Death Hester A Annison
                  Born abt 1853 Mar 1931 Norwich Norfolk 4B 205 age 78
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-08-13, 22:40.

Comment

Val, thank you so much for trying.
                    The Hester A who died at Norwich in 1931 is "mine" - she was born in 1852, daughter of John & Ann and never married.

I can't open your link in post 10:( - I only have essentials, so I take it it's not a census entry?

Your Esther Ann Anderson, born Burnham Market in 1838 (in Bradford in 1861) - I've found her in 1851 census, when she was at home in Burnham Westgate with her parents, so unfortunately that's not Esther Elizabeth Annison mistranscribed.

Esther Elizabeth Annison & her father "John" will have to go on my "unsolved/disappeared/mystery" pile, which grows weekly. (I have enough of those to keep forum members busy for weeks, but I fear that would drive everyone away)

Thank you for taking the time to look, Val.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

UKOutwardPassengerLists1890-1960ForHesterAAnnison.jpgLet me get this right ,so we are looking for Esther Elizbeth born abt 1852 daughter of Thomas in 1861??

Here is that link Hester A Annison travelling in 1891 sugar its come out small
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-08-13, 15:05.

Comment

uk outward.jpgthis might be better

Comment

this is a maybe ?http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...l=ReturnRecord

Comment

Val, I'm trying to establish whether or not the Hester Elizabeth Annison, who married Charles Robert Masters in 1892 and said she was the daughter of John Annison, was the same person as Esther Elizabeth Annison, born Whissonsett, bp 1843, daughter of Thomas Annison.

Thomas Annison had a brother called John and one of his daughters was called Hester A, born Whissonsett in 1852.

!851 census shows Thomas Annison having a 16 yr old daughter named Esther Elizabeth??????

I have been trying to track both girls (cousins) through each census, although Esther Elizabeth is "missing" in 1861. Hester A born 1852, daughter of John, is "mine"
                            I thought I had them sussed, until I found the marriage of Hester E to Charles Masters, saying her father was JOHN, not THOMAS, as I had expected.
                            Either the wrong name was recorded for her father, or there is a third Hester E Annison, daughter of a John, born Whissonsett in the 1840's who I know nothing about.

This is "my" Hester A, acting as witness at the marriage of HER sister Elizabeth. I don't think the signatures are the same, but that doesn't prove that the one who married in 1892 was the daughter od Thomas.

Thank you for the travel image - but I don't think that's either of my girls.

Jay
                            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 10-08-13, 16:40. Reason: Adding links to marriage images
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have been trying to find (H)Ester in 1861 to try and bridge the gap between Norfolk and Lewisham but have not had much success, interstingly I can't find Arthur Roper, her employer in 1861 either. If you could find her in 1861 it would help to see when she left home, did she or her family know Arthur in Norfolk (maybe unlikely as she came from ag labs and he was a doctor) or was she already in Lewisham when they employed her?

I also wanted to see what the year of her birth would be in the 1861 census. I know she is not your direct line but have you checked all her brothers and sisters to see if she is staying with them?

She is not very consistent with her age is she, by the 1911 census she is 10 years younger, (I know she probably did this to be nearer in age to her husband.)

Sorry not much help but will keep looking for her in the 1861.

Comment

Thank you for your response, Frazzled.

I tried looking for Arthur in 1861, as he came from Norfolk, but no luck. He said he was born at Colby - that's probably correct, as in one census, that was his house name.
                                However, I wondered if he was away from home and studying?

I haven't found all of Esther E's siblings in 1861 because a) the family were hopelessly out with ages b) I'm not sure if presumed sister Eliza (born 1835) was Eliza or Elizabeth and a couple of Elizabeth Annison's married in the home area during the 1850's.

Hester A is only a twig. As I share genes through her mother, Thomas Annison & his children are of no blood connection at all; if the 1892 marriage had said daughter of Thomas, I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest about Esther Elizabeth. I'm 95% certain Hester A IS my girl, but there's just this little doubt about ignoring documentation to make a theory fit.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

MMMMMMMM - curiouser & curiouser.
                                  I have found another John Annison living in Whissonsett in 1841 and 1851, born about 1786 and probably the uncle of John & Thomas.
                                  He married Elizabeth Robinson at Tatterford in 1820 and they had 4 boys bp Whissonsett - Daniel 1822, Robert 1825, Henry 1827 & Daniel 2 in 1829. In 1841 sons Henry & Daniel were in the parental home - no sign of any daughters.
                                  I can't find any other Esther Annisons bp Nofolk on FreeBMD

There was just the one Esther Elizabeth Annison birth reg in Norfolk 1841 - 1851, in 1843 - this fits the 12 July 1843 bp of the daughter of Thomas & Susan.

I can't think of any where else I can look. I'm almost certain (H)ester E isn't my family and that the marriage register entry must be a mistake.

Thanks to everyone who has spent time on this.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                  X