Lancashire Library on-line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancashire Library on-line

A kind member suggested I contact the Lancashire Library re online access.
    Have just been informed by the library that online access is not available outside the UK.
    Can someone on the Forum access it for me?
    Kind regards
    clancam
    Tasmania
    Australia

Have sent you a PM (see notificiations top right of page)
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Clancam,
      I live in Lancashire and access the digital library fairly regularly. I can access some records via home but some content can only be accessed via library PCs. If you give me an idea of what you're after, I can take a look for you.
      Regards,
      Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi Karamazov,
        Thanks for your reply, much appreciate your help.
        I'm searching for the death of my GGF, John CAMPBELL who lived in Liverpool with his family Mary Ann Louisa CAMPBELL (nee USHER), son John Duncan CAMPBELL(my GF), daughter Elizabeth Baxter CAMPBELL. They appear on the 1871 UK Census for Liverpool with John's father-in-law John USHER (shown as Boarder).
        John CAMPBELL, a ship's captain was born 1826 in Longleys Perthshire, son of Duncan CAMPBELL (Stonemason) and Elizabeth BAXTER. His sea-going career seems to end after 1867. Surviving a shipwreck in January 1867 he renewed his Master Mariners Certificate at Liverpool in September 1867 and can find no evidence of any activity after that date. I believe his father-in-law died about 1876 and then the family, Wife, both children and Mary Ann Louisa's mother Tryphena USHER migrated to Australia in 1878.
        No trace of John CAMPBELL, no passenger or crew records of a John CAMPBELL coming to Australia. Sorry to be so long-winded.

What I'm searching for is the place and date of death of my GGF John CAMPBELL.

I'm convinced he died in Liverpool, then when John USHER died (date unknown as yet, probably 1876) the family had enough money to travel "unassisted" to Australia.

I'm getting on in years and would dearly love to learn the fate of my GGF while I can.
        I'm certain his death was the catalyst for my family leaving Liverpool and coming here
        to live.

Thank you again for your kind offer.
        Kind regards
        clancam

Barry Campbell

Comment

Hi Elaine...Spain,
          Trying to access your PM, thanks for your reply, hope to be able to read your PM
          Knd regards
          clancam
          Barry Campbell

Comment

Hi Elaine...Spain,
            Have replied to your PM. Hope you receive it. Cannot find my second reply here on this site
            Kind regards
            Barry

Comment

Received your reply. Will see if I can find anything and let you know.
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Barry,
                The only Liverpool paper in the 19th century archive is the Liverpool Mercury but it covers the years in question so I will start searching there...most likely later today after work.
                A few quick questions - whereabouts in Liverpool did the family live? Do you have birth dates for either of the children? Did either of them marry before leaving Liverpool? If so, do you have details of spouses? What was the name of the ship involved in the wreck?
                Christine
                Last edited by Karamazov; 08-08-13, 07:51.
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi Barry,
                  Couldn't resist starting searching despite work to do! The nearest I've found so far in birth, marriage and death announcements in the Liverpool Mercury is this, published 10 June 1873:
                  June 5 - suddenly at his lodgings 9 Kent Square, of heart disease, John Campbell, late second officer of the ship Grand Duke. (Belfast Papers please copy) Does any of this mean anything?

I suspect, however, that this might not be your man as it cross checks to a Liverpool death registration apr-jun 1873 8b 93 for a John Campbell who was only 28 when he died....plus the Belfast papers ref would seem to indicate Irish rather than Scottish origins
                  Christine
                  Last edited by Karamazov; 08-08-13, 09:14.
                  Researching:

Comment

For a moderator/administrator: might this thread be better placed now in Family History Research where it is likely to get more views and help from some experts...
                    Christine
                    Last edited by Karamazov; 08-08-13, 09:09.
                    Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                      For a moderator/administrator: might this thread be better placed now in Family History Research where it is likely to get more views and help?
                      Good idea Christine - now moved to Research.
                      Elaine

Comment

there are 21 john campbell deaths registered at sea from 1871-1879. most seem to for young (20's) men. but there is this:

john campbell- 12 feb 1875, 45 b.1830 aboard the 'columbus' from poplar.

keep in mind the scots and irish are notorious for their ages being off.

Comment

there is a death in liverpool, sep qtr 1874, for john campbell age 48, b.1826

i would say this is likely to be your man.

Comment

Hi Barry,
                            Just to give you a report on progress to date…
                            I tried googling John Campbell master mariner and variations thereof to see what came up but this mainly led to other posts of yours on a range of message boards. I used some of the information found there to search for any announcements re his marriage in 1864 and the birth of his daughter Elizabeth in 1867 in the Liverpool Mercury but no announcements were published. I've trawled through all the Births, Marriages and Deaths mentioning John Campbell between 1867 and 31 Dec 1878 but the nearest I found was the announcement mentioned in post 9 above.

I notice you say in posts elsewhere that his ship Duke was wrecked off the coast of BARBUDA on 1 January 1867. Although he is not mentioned by name, I found this Liverpool Mercury report published 25 February 1867 which says the ship was wrecked off BERMUDA. A further Google search tells me that Bermuda and Barbuda are over 1000 miles apart ...so where exactly did the wreck happen?

It's reported as follows amongst various pieces of news from the West Indies brought in by the steamer West Indian which arrived in the Mersey 23 February 1867.
                            "The loss of the British ship Duke bound to Kingston from Cardiff with a cargo of coals for the RMC steamers, had been reported. She was wrecked off Bermuda. The crew were saved, and are on board the RMC steamer Conway, who had arrived at Port Royal."

You would think there would be some sort of inquiry but so far I haven't found anything in either the Liverpool Mercury or the Times Digital Archive, but it's tricky coming up with search terms given the name of the ship.

I'm gradually ploughing through all the other John Campbell hits up to December 1878 and will update you in a further message perhaps tomorrow - or should that be today - as it's just gone 1.30am here in the UK and time for bed...

Christine
                            Last edited by Karamazov; 10-08-13, 01:40.
                            Researching:

Comment

Hi Christine,
                              Thanks for your letter.
                              Before her marriage my GGM Mary Ann Louisa USHER (aged 20 years) lived at 16 Denman St, Liverpool, West Derby as per the 1861 UK Census for Liverpool. Her parents John USHER (occ: Carpenter) born Gloucester Chipping Norton aged 48 years and mother Tryphena, aged 43 years, born Salop Netley.

When married my GGF and GGM lived at Duke St, and Argyle St, Liverpool this was 1871 at the Census.

My Grandfather John Duncan CAMPBELL was born "at sea" November 1864, the birth registered in the ships log "Bon Accord". This birth was registered at Liverpool and I have a copy of his birth cert. His sister Elizabeth Baxter CAMPBELL was born at Liverpool in 1867 on land. In 1868 they lived at 11 Prescott St, Liverpool (the address shown on John's renewal Master Certificate issued 21st September 1867).

The ship wrecked at Barbuda West Indies on 1st January 1867 was named "The Duke" ON: 15028. All crew survived the sinking, however John lost his Masters certificate hence the issue of a renewal document in Liverpool later that year.
                              I'm delighted with your help, I know so much, except where John died and when.
                              As I'm sure this prompted my family's change from England to Australia I would love to find this information.
                              Look forward to hearing from you.
                              Kind regards
                              Barry

Comment

barry,

post 13 has a death that could be your ancestor. the only way you'd know is to get the record, unless you already have it?
                                Last edited by kylejustin; 10-08-13, 08:07.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  barry,

post 13 has a death that could be your ancestor. the only way you'd know is to get the record, unless you already have it?
                                  Kyle,
                                  just nipping in ahead of Barry as I just happen to be online - this is from a message he posted elsewhere - so the search goes on...

Unfortunately the Liverpool death to which you refer -- think this is one I already purchased in 2006. The certificate records the death of John Campbell, aged about 48 years occ.Bread baker.
                                  Informant; E. Campbell 32 Loomes St, Liverpool. Alas not mine.
                                  Researching:

Comment

Hi Christine,
                                    I jumped for joy when I found the second officer's death, but alas he was only 28. Too young for my GGF.
                                    Thanks for your interest and your efforts it's good to have your support.
                                    With your help I may discover his place/date of death.
                                    Hope to hear from you again and thanks so much for your help.
                                    Regards
                                    Barry

Comment

Hi kylejustin,
                                      I purchased this death certificate about 6 years ago. Unfortunatley it wasn't him.
                                      Thanks for your interest.
                                      Regards
                                      Barry

Comment

Hi kylejustin,
                                        I have searched a large number of deaths at sea, mainly those from "Find My Past" site.
                                        'Columbus' rings a bell, so I'll check this one again. Where is poplar? Is it a place?
                                        Thanks for the tip re scots/irish ages, wasn't aware of that.
                                        Regards
                                        Barry.
                                        PS. Can I help you with any research

Comment

Working...
                                        X