I seek him here, I seek him there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I seek him here, I seek him there

John Wright Ward b 1851 Northampton England d? m 1877 Aberdeen, Scotland to Barbara Johnston b 1850 Peterhead Scotland d 1889 Aberdeen Scotland.
    Children Isabel Ward 1878 London, d 1891 Northampton, William Johnston Ward b 1880 London d 1964 Canada, John Johnston Ward (always called himself John Wright Ward) b 1883 Massachusetts USA d 1956 Australia, Ernest Andrew Ward b 1884 Aberdeen Scotland, d 1956 Australia and Arthur Ward (called himself Arthur Johnston Ward) probably born 1887 USA (no record in England or USA) but with his grandfather on 1901 census b 1887 Boston USA and christened with his brother in 1893 London and the age of birth is on the christening record. He is OH grandfathers and he believed he was born 15 Jun 1892 at Newcastle on Tyne. None of the last 3 boys knew the name of their mother on their marriage certificates.
    I have John Wright Ward on the early censuses up to 1881, have him going to USA 1890, can't find him on the USA census. He was a telegraphic cable superintendent. I presume he was present at the christening of the youngest boys in 1893. And have nothing more. The 3 youngest boys were in Australia by 1915 when Arthur enlisted in WWI. Where did he go? Thanks in advance if you can help.
    Tora

Do you have the family in 1891, Tora?

Isobel and Arthur were with their grandfather in 1891; William, John and Ernest living with their uncle William W. Ward in Newcastle on Tyne...
    RG12; Piece: 4200; Folio: 40; Page: 11; GSU Roll: 6099310.

Beverley

Comment

Thank you Bev, yes I have. I have William, John and Ernest on 1901 but not Arthur.
      Tora

Comment

Is there any connection with the "John Wright Ward" who had financial problems in Australia in 1936? and/or whose wife, Hilda Maud, died in 1934:
        WARD-September 6 1934, at a private hospital,
        Waverley Hilda Maud dearly loved wife of John
        Wright Ward of 15 Roscoe street Bondi and loving
        mother of William
        That's from the Trove site, of course.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-08-13, 19:09.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you considered the standard mistranscriptions when looking for his appearance in the USA censuses? "John W WARD" could easily be transcribed as "John N WARD", "John H WARD", "John M WARD", to mention just a few - and then there's the possibility of not including the middle name at all. And WARD could be similarly mistranscribed.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Do you have Arthur's army notes?

Have you seen this passenger list?

Name: John WARD
            Date of departure: 25 March 1909
            Port of departure: London
            Passenger destination port: Brisbane, Australia
            Passenger destination: Brisbane, Australia
            Marital status: Single
            Sex: Male

there is an Ernest Ward a couple of lines above...labourer
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
              Christine, that John Wright Ward is his son. I have checked the USA censuses without initial.
              Elaine, I have Arthur's army service record and he gives his brother John as next of kin in 1915. I will have a look at that passenger list.
              The thing that seems to come through about this family is the 3 boys who came to Australia knew very little. It looks like they didn't spend much time with their parents. My m-i-l knew nothing about her father's parents. The only story was there was money in the USA. I wish.
              I"m going away for 3 days so I may not be able to answer posts, but I do appreciate any help.
              Tora

Comment

Tora, given that the children were split up among family members in 1891 (see post #2), it certainly looks as though their father was unable to take care of them after his wife died. Either he died as well, or else he was still working o'seas.
                That would account for the youngest boys having no knowledge of their mother....especially since Isabel, the eldest and most likely to remember her mother, died so young.

Beverley

Comment

Elaine, I can't say yes or no about that passenger list, unfortunately. I've put it in my research notes.
                  Bev, I understand what you have said and I agree. I was just hoping after 20 years I could find out what happened to the father. Have to keep hoping.
                  Thank you
                  Tora

Comment

Working...
                  X