Need Help with London Boroughs on 1871 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with London Boroughs on 1871 census

An e-friend I'm helping has asked me the following question about the 1871 London census. I'm not familiar enough with the London boroughs to explain, which areas are within which areas, if that makes sense!

My e-friend needs this info for a book he's writing, so I need to answer this question carefully.

On the original 1871 census it states…

"Civil Parish: Christchurch"
    "Parliamentary Borough: Tower Hamlet"
    "Local Board: North Whitechapel District"

But on the transcript it states…

"Civil Parish: Christchurch Spitalfields"
    "Registration District: Whitechapel"
    "Sub-registration District" Spitalfields"
    (Parliamentary Borough: Tower Hamlets is not mentioned in the transcript)

The titles or headers are different on the transcript then what they read on the original census, so it's confusing.

I think what my e-friend is asking is… what do the titles mean ? & how can he explain them in writing ?

Also, which is the larger dominant area ?

In other words, which area is within which area ?
    How does he explain it ?

Example… Is Spitalfield in Christchurch or the other way around ?

Below is a copy of my e-friends original enquiry & links to the 1871 census page he's referring to...

------------

C+P...
    What is exactly the right way to cite the location for an entry in the following location: http://interactive.ancestry.com/7619/LNDRG10_508_513-0252/12734618?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com% 2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3duki1871%26h%3d12734618%26indi v%3dtry%26o_vc%3dRecord%253aOtherRecord%26rhSource %3d1629&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

Also, I cannot read one entry in the 1871 census. Is that the Parliamentary Borough of Lower Hamlet?
    How do I deal with that in conjunction with Civil Parish of Christ Church and the Local Board being "Works Whitechapel District," whatever that means? Is this inside London or elsewhere?

(already worked out that "Works Whitechapel District" is "North Whitechapel District").

Here is Ancestry's compilation: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1871&h=12734618&indiv=try&o_vc=Recor d:OtherRecord&rhSource=1629

They say something that confuses me:

Where born:
    Whitechapel, Middlesex, England
    Civil Parish:
    Christchurch Spitalfields
    County/Island:
    London
    England
    Registration District:
    Whitechapel
    Sub-registration District:
    Spitalfields
    ED, institution, or vessel:
    Household Schedule Number:
    Piece:
    Folio:
    Page Number:

I really do not know how to put that together into something intelligent, going from the smallest location to the largest one, the latter presumably being "United Kingdom."

-------------------

Grateful for any help with this...

Thanks

Wallaby
    We should never forget them,
    Because we would not be here today, but for them.
    We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
    Because we all have them…
    Them… were our Ancestors.

Typing into google something like
    (place name) registration district genuki
    will bring up a page similar to this one - http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...itechapel.html

This shows that Whitechapel is in the registration county of London, and Spitalfields is a place within the Whitechapel registration district.

You need to realise that the registration districts covered an area, so in this case you can see that Whitechapel is listed in its own right as a place within the same registration district.

Genuki in general is a very useful site when trying to find information on counties/parishes/ registration districts etc.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Typing into google something like
      (place name) registration district genuki
      will bring up a page similar to this one - http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...itechapel.html

This shows that Whitechapel is in the registration county of London, and Spitalfields is a place within the Whitechapel registration district.

You need to realise that the registration districts covered an area, so in this case you can see that Whitechapel is listed in its own right as a place within the same registration district.

Genuki in general is a very useful site when trying to find information on counties/parishes/ registration districts etc.
      http://www.genuki.org.uk/contents/

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for this. I've tried Googling for info, but I can't ascertain where Christchurch fits into this or Tower Hamlet ?

Is it that Tower Hamlet is a sub-district of Spitalfields & Spitalfields is a sub-district of Whitechapel, which is a district of London ?

If so, that still leaves Christchurch ?

Wal'

Comment

I always thought Tower Hamlets came under Stepney ? or the other way round.
        Wonder if this will help a bit
        Last edited by Guest; 05-08-13, 15:13.

Comment

Tower Hamlet is the parliamentary borough which covers quite a wide area. I might be wrong (and I am sure someone will say if I am) but I don't think this has any relation to the registration district, which in this case is Whitechapel.

If you look at the transcription of the example you have quoted on Ancestry

you can see the order:
          Country = England
          County = London
          Registration district = Whitechapel
          Sub registration district = Spitalfields
          Parish = Christchurch

and from the image, Christchurch falls within the parliamentary borough of Tower Hamlet.

Elaine

Comment

Ok, this has all been a great help & I'm getting my head around it now. I've sent this reply...

Thanks Val & Elaine

Wal x

My reply...

The boundaries of London are as complex & as fluid as the countries of Eastern Europe.

After talking to my e-friends, this seems to be the correct order of how it should read.

Remember, this is how it was in 1871.

(London was/is a County within itself, as well as a city)

From largest to smallest in descending order…

Country = England
            County = London
            Registration district = Whitechapel
            Sub-registration district = Spitalfields
            Parish = Christchurch
            Parliamentary Borough = Tower Hamlet
            (Christchurch falls within the parliamentary borough of Tower Hamlet).

At one time, Whitechapel was in the County of Middlesex, before Middlesex was consumed by London,
            hence the place Solomon Coelho was born in 1862 was stated as Whitechapel, Middlesex England.
            It gives no mention of London, which is confusing.

Some links, which you may have found already…

Also, an email to Tower Hamlets Archives might give more info - localhistory@towerhamlets.gov.uk.

Hope this helps

Wal'
            Last edited by Wallaby; 05-08-13, 16:00.

Comment

Working...
            X