Would like your opinions on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like your opinions on this

Arthur Samuel Stephens 1881 in Brighton, Sussex.

I have a photo of him in his army uniform.

I have today received his death certificate. Died aged 33, 23rd December 1914 as his parents house of TB House Decorator (Journeyman) Wife, Olive, present at his death.

My question is, I wondered why he was at home at that time when he was in the army and it was WW1also other people I have had who have come home during the war and then died have their occupation given as 'soldier' etc.

I did wonder if, as it was right near the beginning of the war, if he actually ever got there!

Linda

As it was his wife who registered his death she probably thought of him as a house decorator, rather than a soldier. At least he got to die at home with his wife to nurse him instead of being in a military hospital which could have been many miles away.

Comment

Perhaps he was in a territorial/volunteer corps when the photo of him in uniform was taken? Maybe he was already suffering with TB and was not passed fit when examined at barracks by an army doctor in the first few days of the war?
      Is there anything to show he did actually serve in the army in WW1, albeit for a very short time?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
        Perhaps he was in a territorial/volunteer corps when the photo of him in uniform was taken? Maybe he was already suffering with TB and was not passed fit when examined at barracks by an army doctor in the first few days of the war?
        Is there anything to show he did actually serve in the army in WW1, albeit for a very short time?

Jay

No Janet, can't find anything about him..the photo is quite an informal one too. No hat on and leaning on something with his arms across him with his fingers interlocking

Linda
        Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 03-08-13, 11:42.

Comment

Sometimes photographers had "props" in the way of clothing as well as furniture. If the photo is informal it might suggest that it was not his official uniform?
          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            Sometimes photographers had "props" in the way of clothing as well as furniture. If the photo is informal it might suggest that it was not his official uniform?
            Anne

I'll try to post the photo on here but an a bit hopeless with that

Linda

Comment

Probably not relevant in this case, but I have heard that there was a small trade in mocking up photographs of men in uniform so that the proud mother could display this on the mantelpiece and thus put off awkward questions from the neighbours.

The few photos I have of my family members in uniform are all very formal - that's the studio/official photos. Snapshots are different of course but you can usually tell they are amateur because they are so small!

I think you possibly have a photo of him in some non-combatant uniform.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X