Merge gedcom file from FTM into FH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merge gedcom file from FTM into FH

I have both these software on my computer. I have been using FTM but would like to update FH with the additional information gathered on FTM. Can anyone please advise step by step instructions on how to do this please.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

You need to create a Gedcom file in FTM (the normal file is not Gedcom)
    Save the FTM Gedcom file elsewhere (out of FTM)
    Then you need to do a "merge" with FH.
    FIRST .... SAVE a separate copy of your current FH files in case it all goes wrong!
    Once you know you have a safe copy you can experiment with merging. Why not try practising with the FH sample (Peabody) file before you do the real thing?
    Have a look at the Family Historian User Group website (http://www.fhug.org.uk/) where there are all sorts of helpful demos and some willing experts to help in case of problems.
    A big tip .... it can take quite a long time to work through all the people an make sure there are no duplicates. Set aside a whole chunk of time because its best to do it all in one go.

Good luck
    Anne

Comment

Thank you Anne. Sorry I've just got back to you, been a hectic day. Will give it a go tomorrow. Shall let you know how I get on. Kind regards.
      Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Well that was painless. All went well. Many thanks for your help.
        Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Great, well done! It won't be so daunting next time.
          Anne

Comment

Working...
          X