Curious find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious find

An advantage of an unusual surname is how readily the name will standard out when doing searches. So this evening I was again searching for the name Tackaberry on the internet. For some reason I went to the British Newspaper Archive site and tried the name. Amongst the hits it did find was one for the The Western Times dated 8 Jul 1916. The article reports of a 'Children's Flower show at Tavistock'. The flower show was at Tavistock Church of England Girls' School and amongst the winners was one E Tackaberry.

What make this interesting for me is that to the best of my knowledge there have been no Tackaberry's in Devon and Cornwall since the 19th century, until I came to live in Plymouth in the 1980's. Then just under 5 years ago I moved to a village just outside Tavistock!!!

Who is this long lost relative?. The 1911 census shows no Tackaberry's in the area. The nearest one is in Wales and the majority in London, most of whom I think I can trace in the family tree. So who is this Tackaberry's that suddenly appears in the south west and where are the parents.

D

Curious indeed. I wonder if the date is significant - 1916 slap bang in the middle of the Great War. Perhaps E Tackaberry was staying with relatives or her family had moved temporarily out of London as my mum's family did. In mum's case grandad had been called up and grandma took her 4 daughters to stay with auntie in Plympton until near the end of the war.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Had wondered about the effect of the war but I didn't think there was any form of formal evacuation. So why was the child in Tavistock as there was little threat of aerial bombing during WWI. As you suggest, maybe a family connection probably on the mother's side.

I feel the need for a visit to the Devon Record Office to find the school records. First, need to find the school; not sure if it still exists and if it does what it is called now.

D

Comment

I think you will find D that the little girl E Tackaberry will be the one below in 1911 as she is the only E Tackaberry that would have been the right age. Ethel Margaret Tackaberry - Sept 1908 - W.Ham ref 4a 139. On the census born Upton Park with parents George (a bookbinder) and Elizabeth and brother George - p.s. Mother likely to be nee Elizabeth Cook Slatter.

Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 01-08-13, 09:20.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Could well be Chrissie but how come she is now in Tavistock!! From a quick visit to the local library this morning I did find some info on Tavistock during WW1, one informative bit stating that Tavistock was heavily garrisoned during the war.

Could George now be in the army and his family here as well. He would have been 42 at the start of the war and 44 in 1916. I don't know enough about WWI recruitment to know if he would have been to old to join. Possibly to old for active service but perhaps not for home service.

Need to check the National Archives. never really got to grips with the site - just doesn't seem logical and easier to use :(

D

Comment

My mother told me that if the war had continued to 1919 my Grandfather would have been called up and he would have been 48.

Just looked it up out of interest and the age limit was raised to 51 until mid 1919.

Comment

Possibly the London Tackaberrys were still in contact with family in the West Country.

When my grandfather's family split up temporarily about 1910, he was sent to live with relatives in Devon - even though my 2xgreat grandfather left there 60 years before.

I think we don't always appreciate these days how much families stayed in touch in the past.

Comment

Ha Ha if I have worked this out correctly I have found the connection - Sort off!!

Ethel is the the daughter of George Tackaberry (Tackbury), born about 1870, St Saviour, Southwark.
                George is the son of Francis Tackaberry (Thackabery) and Mary Ann Hannah Ricketts (widow) nee Breedan.
                From the 1871 census, Francis is born abt 1841 in St Saviour but I don't think is correct. In the census he give his profession as Bookmaker
                In the marriage register for Francis and Mary Ann (3 Dec 1865 St Saviour), Francis give his profession as shoemaker. His father is named as Abraham Tackaberry (deceased), also a shoemaker.

Now this may be coincidence but I have a family tree called 'Other Tackaberry's of Listowel'. I think this traces the protestant side of my family. Somewhere in the past a yet unnamed Tackaberry married twice, first to a Protestant, then to a Catholic, the line from which I am descended. Currently at the head of this tree is one Abraham Tackaberry (1795-1862), a shoemaker. One of his children was a Francis Tackaberry, born 1841.

It seems to fit but there is a lot of speculation in it. Given the lack of access to some Irish records it may be difficult to prove. Another project to add to the list!!!!

D

Comment

Working...
                X